Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Looking back mid-journey


In anticipation of tomorrow's very special anniversary (stay tuned), I've written the following new poem.

Whenever you reach the midpoint of a journey, it's good to take a moment's pause and reflect. Looking back, you may realize you've meandered off the chosen path, but there's still time for a course correction.

I know that I often live up to the stereotype of a man reluctant to ask directions, but I'm doing my best to change that.

Feel free to map things out for me when I go astray.

At midpoint journeys paused
By Francis Scudellari

At midpoint journeys paused, pondered
Outward roads radiating, spun
Dizzy with destined choices, made
Unsure, unbalanced, reluctant

To stop, self-centered missed steps posed,
Halted remorse wanting to run
All directions, at once, up-down
Disorient, past-visions blur

In momentary forgetting,
Lose untracked paths original,
Sins cast off, memories shred, gilt
Edged possibility rebirth

A way randomly picked, still hope,
Time, tried decisions undo, trails
Again retrace, lines draw forward
To points new, endings yet unknown

4 comments:

GrEaT sAtAn'S gIrLfRiEnD said...

"...In momentary forgetting,
Lose untracked paths original..."

ToUcHe'




Distractions, bowing to the absurd - things happen for a reason i may not see the reason now but sooner or later i will. but for now im being me and just hanging out. and still figuring out who i am :)


Very true Francis I totally relate.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Courtney. I'm glad it makes sense to someone besides me :).

Anonymous said...

Excellent poem Francis. Love the opening. Hooks a reader right away.
Take care
~JD

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi JD,
Getting that opening line is usually the biggest challenge ... as I'm sure you know. I'm glad it works ... debated a few variations. Thanks for the comment and reassurance yet again.