Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The gift of giving: helping to end hunger

My sister Lisa and her family (Chris, Nick and Matt) passed on a really neat Christmas gift yesterday. They made a donation in my name to Heifer International, which is an organization dedicated to ending world hunger.

Heifer's interesting strategy involves creating a positive feedback loop in which the affects of the seemingly small drop of a single gift ripples through a impoverished village's social circles and beyond.

The money from my honorary donation will be used to give a flock of chicks to a family, whose diet and income can benefit from the eggs laid. In return for the livestock and training, the recipients promise to share their new knowledge and their animal's future offspring with other families in need.

It sounds like a pretty noble effort, and you can find a lot more information about their mission and strategy on the organization's Web site. I'd like to see similar efforts spring up to share the gift of more modern technologies with impoverished communities as well, so that they can not only survive but thrive in an increasingly computer connected world.

Photo Caption: In China, a boy poses with Heifer provided goslings which bring the family eggs for better nutrition and extra income.

Copyright: Heifer International

6 comments:

Dave J. said...

Awesome dude, simply awesome.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Dave ... I thought it was a pretty cool gift.

Raven said...

Hey Francis, you've been given an award, you may have already received it from someone else, I can't remember, but I'm giving it to you anyway.

Raven

fihanna said...

Francis!
ho un meme nuovo on my blog for you..
hurry up!

Anonymous said...

Love it Francis. I received a similar gift through World Vision where a donation in my name goes to buy medical supplies. Anything helps. It is a great gift.

Hey congrats on your award from Raven my friend!

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi JD,

That's cool ... I'll need to check out the World Vision site and add a link.

Congrats back at you ... I feel like I'm in great company among those listed in the post.