Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Words of healing power

This is an important poem for me. I'm writing it to commemorate a very exciting event that will take place in my neighborhood next year. It's the fulfillment of a dream long held by a group of active and concerned community members.

On January 21, 2008 the Heartland Alliance will open a new federally qualified health clinic in Rogers Park. It's a project to which my friends and I have been closely linked for almost two years. Through the facility, our neighbors will be able to find a community-based, medical home that will offer a wide range of care.

In the coming weeks, I'll provide more details on the opening and the official ribbon cutting that will follow soon after. For now, I want to share the excitement I'm feeling and post the blank versed words I put together to celebrate the joyful expectation of a community's new healing power.

A small hand reaches
By Francis Scudellari

A small hand reaches high,
Lifted
Out of indifference,
Clasping
At hope, releases at last,
Embraced,
Pain held too close, bound tight
Inside,
Hers only, entirely,
Offered,
Gifted gladly, ours to/o
Accept,
Grasping answers, common
Concern
Transformed beyond caring
To heal

A child's voice allowed, up
Rises
Names his wants once muffled,
Prayers
No more pushed down, only
Spoken
To/o distant ears, whispered,
Hush-shed
On tear-moistened pillows,
Sings out,
Now awake, tuned, telling
Touches
Reveal requests plaintive,
Painting
Limned hurts, ever ours to/o
Set free

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

great poem.....Heart(Land) felt.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Ralph,
I knew that you in particular would appreciate it. It's a big success story that we RPers should be very proud of.

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Well said Ralph Garr, I concur!

This is great news Francis, perhaps Heartland Alliance is a Holiday Miracle thanks to such Community Elves as yourself :)

Do keep us posted!

Francis Scudellari said...

It's definitely a great holiday present to the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

I'm on the board of Heartland International Health Center, and we are so excited to see this health center come to fruition. Great poem commemorating this occasion, and huge thanks to you and to everyone who worked to make this center a success!