Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Words made comically graphic: Part One

I've been sparing in my words the past week because I started working on a graphic rendering of a few of my favorite poems. My good friend George Kokines gave me a small accordion-style book a few months back with the ambiguous charge to fill it with something personal.

I hemmed and hawed out of perceived inadequacy before embarking on a series of comic book inspired illustrations. As you'll see, the drawings got progressively less literal and increasingly psychedelic as I had flashbacks to my cartoon doodling youth.

Here's the first set of panels, with words from my poem Hail Mary arranged irregularly in the margins. Click on the image to see it enlarged. I'll be posting the other pages over the next few days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My aren’t we the artistic one! Here an artist has been living inside you all this time and I never knew! Your art work is astonishingly skilled and compliments your poetry. In fact, your drawings seem as if you have been doing them professionally for awhile. I look forward to seeing more of your work my Friend of many talents :)

Please do autograph your pix for much deserving credit.

Francis Scudellari said...

I don't think they look very professional, but I like how they turned out. The best is yet to come :).

Do you mean watermark the images?

fihanna said...

Roba da Nobel..da Oscar..
da segnare nel libro dei Guinness per il valore espressivo che celano i disegni!
Che psichedelismo!!
Sei un genio Francis!
D'ora in poi รจ meglio che disegni da solo per le tue poesie!

Francis Scudellari said...

I can't say that they're award-worthy, or that I'm a genius, but I'm happy to accept your high praise Hannah :).