Pages

Monday, December 03, 2007

A winter chill that blows into every life

Today marks a very difficult anniversary for me and my family. It's the day we kids lost our compass and my mother lost the love of her life. Almost twenty years on now, I'm still making my peace with the sense of spiritual drift that followed.

My father isn't physically here any more to keep me on the right path, and I'm not sure that he'd approve of many of the choices I've made in this life. He does still inhabit my dreams and memory, however, and I try to believe that his spirit guides me in its own way from afar.

I wrote the following poem much later. It wasn't in response to his specific death, but a series of funerals that played out over too short a time thereafter. Sometimes our holidays are taken from us unexpectedly, and we're forced to separate ourselves from the general jubilation and reflect on realities tough to face at any time of year.

I'm sorry it's not very cheery seasonal fare, but I'll be back to my spirited self in the days to come. In the mean time, grant me this indulgence to honor my father, his life and his death.

Poor Jon
by Francis C. Scudellari

"Poor Jon," false, fed, falls.
"Dear man," trite, trim, trickles.
"Dear Jon," pathetic, pours.
Pours down ... down ... down into

The outstretched palms;
The stiffened arms
draped in once-worn wool;
An ill-fitted suit.

A mumbled man;
a whispered woman;
a chided child—
Each future glimpsing shades
in the past reflected pool—
Pause by ... nod to ... turn from

The powdered head;
The cracked pale skin;
The straying hair;
The fire doused eyes.

His cat'ract sight blinded,
Jon no longer to search hollows
of a time-tricked, thread-bare mind,
driven by fickle winds, flitting visions
to roam longing lost shores,
to wade through ebbing dreams.

His crooked corpse numbed,
Jon's withered arms no more to reach;
the Christ crossed legs to step;
the age arched trunk to bend
toward the milk lade earth,
the mother clay it craved.

His buried soul freed,
Jon's arked covenant lost,
not in long labored flight to Remember,
but in the rested peace of Forget.

"Poor, poor Jon."
His wince answers the toothless smile.
"Poor Father."
She fingers closed the deep set eyes.
"Poor Grampa."
She places petals in cold hands.

Darkened, dear drops
Water-severed flowers mocking
Feed the black stream buoying
A weathered shell embarked toward dust.

8 comments:

Bola said...

Sorry about the loss, death is difficult to accept especially those of loved ones.Even though it happened long ago,it will always be fresh in your memory.Thank God for who you are now,i'm very sure that wherever YOUR COMPASS is he'll be very proud of all of you.

Peace.

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

My Dear Francis, your poem has touched me intensely. Thank you for giving your Readers this opportunity to share in honoring your Father. Blessedly, as you wrote his spirit continues to guide you. Hugs from the Universe to You and Your Family.

Bob Johnson said...

Beautiful poem, sorry about your loss, seems like your compass is alright.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Bola,
Thanks and I'm sure you're right.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Michelle,
I try to hug the universe back, but I can't get my arms around it :). Thanks as always for your kind words and thoughts.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Bob,
I'm sure I worry about my compass more than I should but I was brought up to be self-critical. Thanks for the nice comment.

Anonymous said...

First and foremost, your father would be very proud of the man you have become. He would admire your incredible intelligence and your sensitive and kind nature. He would be in admiration of your great communication skills and the beauty of your poetry. He would be proud of your fight for justice and standing tall for what you believe in, be it economic justice, the enviroment or the Cubs. Dad may not always agree with you, but he would be at the front of the line to support your right to say it.

Dad would stand by you knowing that on every journey, there are mis-steps and detours that may not be as one plans. It's how you handle those rough points. And, one of the tenets of his faith that he strongly believed in was to be forgiving, accepting and loving.

Dad is with me as well and he was a towering person who taught us a great deal.

I know I'm very proud to have you as my brother. I know in my heart he would feel the same way.

Love, Tony

PS - Awesome blog!!! :-)

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Tony,

I'm very happy to see that I pulled you into this conversation :).

I think we four kids all share most of those qualities you've described and that's certainly in large part thanks to Dad's nature and nurture.

I'm very proud to be your brother as well, and feel very blessed to be part of this odd little grouping of folks we call a family. I've always find it easier to write than speak my emotions, so I have to let this little avocation give voice to my feelings.