Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Finding the special in a non-descript day

December 20th is not a date on which much of any real import has happened.

A day before the solstice, five days out from Christmas, and 11 back from year's end, the world just wants to catch its breath before the big rush of excitement.

Here is a minor historical accounting of the date's sometimes trivial past happenings:
  • In 1803, the U.S. completed its biggest single land grab as Thomas Jefferson purchased the Louisiana Territory from France.

  • In 1860, the state of South Carolina became the first to secede from the union and kick started a process that would inevitably tear the expanding country apart. From bad to good, the resulting internal revolution created the opportunity to undo one of our Constitution's worst oversights.

  • In 1946, there were two theatrical birthings. It's a Wonderful Life, Frank Capra's now-overplayed Christmas classic about pondered suicide and redemption, took its first bow in New York City. Half a world away in Israel, Uri Geller, the pseudo psychic with a penchant for bending spoons and re-invigorating clocks with his energetic touch, screamed his way onto the stage.

  • In 1963, on a snowy morning, Francis Christopher Scudellari (pictured above) was spanked to breath by the medical staff at Providence Hospital in Washington DC. He was the third of four children born to Marina and Anthony. From there the picture gets fuzzy and indistinct. Many guises put on, but none yet to stick. Check this space regularly for updates.

12 comments:

Miriam Robbins said...

Happy Birthday, Francis! May today and the year ahead be full of wonderful things!

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Miriam. I have a good feeling about 2008 :).

Anonymous said...

Francis,

From Nancy & I a huge happy B-Day.

Here's hoping your birthday wishes, whatever they may be, all come true when you blow out all of those many candles.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Ralph (to you and Nancy). Depending on my expectation of success, I may change what I wish for. Better yet, I may have to celebrate with a couple different cakes so I can get a few in.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Francis. Must be nice to be young. Hope its a great one! Both of my boys were December babies. :-)

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi JD ... I'll have to ask someone else the bit about being young ;). It is all relative. I'm make the most of my day(s). My family has a lot of December babies, and I'm fond of all of them :).

fihanna said...

AUGURI AUGURI!!!
TANTI AUGURI!!!
FELICE COMPLEANNO!
giri il mondo,eh?
sagittario!

Francis Scudellari said...

Ciao Hanna,
Mille grazie.
The world turns while I stand in place :).
Yes, Sagittarius ... a traveler.

Lisa McGlaun said...

Oh my gosh! Happy birthday yesterday. I wish I'd seen this sooner..:(

You were a really cute kid. Merry Christmas. Also, Francis, I want to thank you for the referrals that come to LifePrints from your blog. Thank you so much for letting me part of your blog roll.

Peace,
Lisa

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Lisa. Age has definitely taken it's toll on me :). I'm very happy to have you in my blog roll ... I just wish I was able to generate more traffic for your site. Merry Christmas to you and your family too.

Raven said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Raven!