Pages

Saturday, December 08, 2007

A dreamy fish story: hooked by hidden meanings

I'm usually not one to burden others with the task of deciphering my dream meanings, but occasionally I have a sleep-induced imagining that seems too deceptively random to take at face value. The best fairy tales can be read as simple adventures on the surface, but swimming beyond the shallows we often discover darker psychological metaphors swirling in their murky depths.

I dream a lot each night, and the topics shift quickly to include new objects and places; each flowing from a previous mental scene with completely different actors. The new imagery starts midstream and continues until another idea overtakes it, or waking rays of morning wipe it out. The abrupt changes in perspective and narrative might seem jolting in real life, but are completely consistent within my land of nod.

So this one begins with a sudden but accepted transition. I stand before an empty aquarium with its light bulb strangely detached from the lid. It's an average sized tank ... the 10- or 20-gallon variety found in most homes. The unlit bulb hangs awkwardly in the clear water, calling out for assistance to my perpetual desire to put things right.

I assume that it's my fish tank, although I haven't actually ever owned one. It seems oddly still, as if there ought to be fish inside, but I stick my hands in anyway. I do my best to snap the bulb back into place and put the lid back on. That's when the strangeness begins. As if tainted by my touch, the water begins to change to a milky white, and I realize that this isn't my aquarium at all.

It seems I've been playing in an alternate world, and forgot to switch back to my own dimension. The tank in fact belongs to someone else; one of the avatar-linked members of a virtual community to which I belong. I "log off" and return to my reality quickly, worried that I might have caused irreparable harm to his fish tank, wondering if he left the water uninhabited for a reason, perhaps to clean it or treat it.

The tank then changes to one that I accept as my own. It's fully decorated and some fish swim around in its bubbling water, but not all that belong there. There's a shallow, clear tray sitting in front of it, and a number of my fish have been placed in this temporary home. I sense that this may be the pay back for my well-intentioned virtual vandalism.

The tropical fish of many colors and shapes teem in the tray, swimming with difficulty. Some are too big for the amount of water there, so they flap their fins while floating on their sides trying to remain submerged. Feeling an urgency to get them back in the bigger tank, I lift the tray and try to pour the fish out slowly. The first to reach the aquarium — a large, plump, orange goldfish — passes right through the water and lands convulsively on the floor.

The tank, I then realize, isn't actually there after all, having been replaced by a realistic simulation. I second guess myself for not having kept the aquarium off-limits to other's manipulation (the way objects work in Second Life, for example). I feel a sudden panic about the well-being of the rest of my fish, and then I wake up.

Note: Image courtesy of Lerdsuwa at WikiMedia. Click here to see a larger version with full description.

2 comments:

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

First, let me surmise that it would seem you are trying to help someone whom you are not sure wants help, doesn’t realize they may need help, or whom doesn’t know how to ask for or accept such. Someone perhaps whom is in a similar situation such as yourself. A situation maybe that presents some danger, yet you are willing to jump in to assist without forethought; even disregarding possible electrocution. Having succeeded, the water turns to a milky white which often symbolizes a pureness such as a pure act of kindness. Because of your kindness, it would appear that you are rewarded ten fold as in multiple fish. And in the process; perchance having helped someone, in return has helped solve your own dilemma such as giving you a solution to your own problem.

Second, let me state – give me back my Dreams! My X kept my gold fish Harriet, recently this fish passed away and now my X is so kind to want to return my 10 gallon aquarium to me, less one fish of course. I knew you stole my dreams Francis, I just never could prove it til now! :)

Francis Scudellari said...

Wow Michelle,
That's a pretty amazing coincidence! I think the second interpretation makes more sense. Maybe I'm being inundated with the dreams of all those who don't have them ....

In "City of Lost Children" the mad scientist built a machine to try to capture the little children's dreams. Maybe we can figure out a way to do the same thing. Once I can catch them, I'll send them UPS.