Pages

Friday, December 07, 2007

A wintry instrument played


There's something about this time of year that brings out the poetic in me. It's probably too much time alone; walled in to stay out of the frigid outer elements. The world blanketed in white doesn't interest me as much, so I retreat into my mental den and explore the more colorful recesses of my imagination.

This is a poem that was inspired by an actual dream I had several years back. I think it touches on the time-worn urge of all story tellers to communicate something within themselves to the outside world — be it an experience, mood or sentiment. Sometimes our moments to shine forth are brief, so we need to make the most of them.

I'll be back to my more prosaic musings shortly ... so don't tune me out just yet.

Hollow Reed
By Francis Scudellari

Before me, it floated;
An instrument, unknown …
Not flute, nor horn, but reed
Of sorts, perhaps, or not;

Plated, gold, its metal
Thin, delicately stretched;
Mouthpiece of hammered face,
Regal, familiar, mine …

Features older, wiser;
I sensed it waited, long
Expected, my breathed wind;
On dreamed steps, I approached;

Fearful, hands shaking, held,
Hesitated, seconds;
Thoughts sensing, knowing, it
Seized doubt's moment, read me …

Reached into my lungs, pulled
Out, my soul, billowing
Fog, poured from hollow pipe,
Sounding ten, twelve sharp notes …

Rising up, freed, it climbs,
Dissipates, with others,
Cloud-carried, unfinished
Songs, short, sad melodies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it Francis. You have a unique style. I can't put my finger on it yet, but it does resonate with, loud and clear. You are very talented my friend.

Anonymous said...

corrected *within* :-)
~JD

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi JD,
Thanks yet again for the kind words. I can't quite yet put a finger on what I do yet either. It does help to read the great work that others such as yourself are putting out there in the blogosphere. I'm just trying to keep up.

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

OMGosh Francis, you are truly a gifted Poet with words that draw the Reader in, leaving them wanting more – echoing encore encore!

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Michelle,
I think I'll leave them wanting more for a few days. I'll try to put some new poems up later in the week.