Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Jonesing for Alternative Currencies (POW Prompt 2)

I've been thirsting to burst your bubble since
I heard the low-down we may be over-
supplied with a green-backed bird called Money,
that trollop spread-wide by aliases

A mark, a yen, a buck or a pound
A buck or a pound, a buck or a pound


To a layman's ears unlearned in the fine-
tuned registers of glib-tongued financiers,
it may ring up as reason to cheer with
no tinkling of trouble, but if Money

Is all that makes the world go around
that clinking, clanking sound
(they do say)

She sings, clangs a bit hollow when she clings
too heavy in alms of poorly wrung hands,
it's then well-heeled sit'n spins'll turn us about
to the golden-gapped beams of bankers mouths

For Money makes the world go around
The world go around, the world go around


And will till johns who hold little put less
stock in the tart pitches of slick-macking
daddy Street with his tricky fat pay backs
for the ounce of love he's flouncing to sell.



This piece was inspired by the Poetry on Wednesday Prompt 2. We were supposed to use as a model an Elizabeth Smart poem in which she combines a Biblical Psalm and a police report. I tried to mix a financial report and lyrics from Cabaret (in italics), but the economics got mixed up by the fun bits and ended up a little compromised.

8 comments:

flaubert said...

Francis,
Money certainly does make the world go round. Unfortunately people base the soul worth on $. Nicely done for this prompt.
Pamela

Unknown said...

Hi Francis,

I could hear Joel Gray! And since when is anyone over supplied with the stuff??!

Rallentanda said...

Very witty and clever Francis.The poem has a ring of Cabaret throughout with its clipped biting rhetoric such as green backed flying money, the golden beams of the bankers mouth and the wringing of hands. Well done!

Andy Sewina said...

Difficult one to get my head round, but I loved some of your lines 'she sings, clangs a bit hollow when she clings' for example.

Btw, Love the title of your book. I can't make my paypal account work anymore, maybe you can tell me, do you have to have a special merchant account to take payments?

Paul Oakley said...

One of my favorite musicals! Thanks for bringing me back there in this reverie on money. Well done!

brenda w said...

a mark a yen a buck or a pound....love the rhythm. I especially love linking money to sex with the trollop metaphor. Well done!

Francis Scudellari said...

@Pamela Maybe with the recession people have learned to be a little less dependent on it.

@Derrick When "we" as a whole are "oversupplied" I guess it can lead to inflation, and then the stuff gets worthless. Some economists are a bit worried by the amount of money the US has been printing to keep the economy afloat right now.

@Rall Thanks for another cool prompt. I'm already pondering the peachy lines of this week's.

@Andy I can't say I full grasp it either :). I left a comment regarding the PayPal stuff on your blog.

@Paul I saw a revival of Cabaret a couple years back and it left an impression.

@Brenda Money and sex are an easy association to make in this society.

Wayne Pitchko said...

money...who needs moneey.....unless you bet obn losers...I only bet poems....well done Francis