Pages

Friday, January 09, 2009

Seeing other cities

Eventually all relationships grow stale, and after 28 years together I'm beginning to think it's time to move on. Chicago and I have had a really great run together, but it's not really working out for either of us any longer.

We each have a share of the blame to shoulder, and she's got some pretty big ones to pile on the criticism. I looked the other way when she hung out with friends of questionable character and threw money around on superficial baubles. I stuck it out through the frigid times when I had to retreat into my apartment until she warmed to me again.

Admittedly, I wasn't pulling my end as well as I should have; especially with the tax base dwindling each year. I did some flirting with other locales, but never anything serious. To tell the truth, her individual quirks became less and less endearing. They began to grate on my nerves to the point where I lost interest.

We're holding each other back. So, if there's a metropolis out there looking for a fun new citizen to add to her ranks, you can reach me here. I prefer large public transportation systems, some nice greenery and cozy neighborhood bars. A growing economy would seal the deal. Feel free to send a photo, but I can also look you up on Google Earth.

In other news, I'm working on my poem-a-week resolution and should deliver on that promise (for better or worse) tomorrow.
Post a Comment