Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The flapping wings of half-formed ideas

Suddenly I find myself beset by the flapping wings of too many half-formed ideas. It could be the straying focus of a mind forced into mid-winter isolation. Or it could be a newfound need to obsess over details. But it's become much easier for me to begin projects than to bring them to completion.

My list of in-progress items includes three poems in various stages (working titles: Turn tables, Transparency, and A Hungry Ghost); the rough sketch of a new drawing (tentatively called New Life Sprouting); an outline of the next installment in my series of philosophical essays (Questioning people's motives); plus the very slow to resuscitate next chapter of my short story Belly.

It will help me finally grasp the annoying buggers if I publicly set a deadline for myself. So, I'll commit to completing the essay by tomorrow. And I should have Transparency ready by the weekend.

6 comments:

Leon1234 said...

I really like your blog! it's real cute;)

Leon1234 said...

Hey, how are you doing?

Jena Isle said...

It means your mind is still functioning at its peak. I would worry if you didn't have any ideas...lol...

In fact I admire how you can come up with so many planned activities. You'll just have to be patient and determined to let them get done.

Have a blessed weekend Francis.

Anonymous said...

Hi Francis

You are certainly more motivated than I am. Personally whenever I set deadlines for my blogs I wind up thinking of it as a chore. When I don't think about my blog the ideas pour out and before I know it I have half a dozen poems or discourses already written. It's probably because I feel there's no consequence if I don't meet those deadlines, but what the heck. I think that could be the the reason I quit and restart my blogs all the time :-)This time around I've avoided the personal deadlines.
Anyways, I'll be interested to see what you come up with in the near future my friend. Take care.
~JD

Jackie said...

Hi Francis,
It was so good to see your face again.

Yes I am back to blogging again. I just missed everyone way too much.

I also am recovering from a very prolong and deep depression that caught me off guard this winter.

But, I am back and so glad to see you again.

I added you back to my favorites so I can ty to visit everyday.

I hope you meet your dead line. I am sure the essay will be fabulous.

Happy New year and Happy weekend:-)

Francis Scudellari said...

@Leon I'm doing well, thanks. I don't think cute would be the first word that I would use to describe it.

@Jena If I force myself to sit down in front of the computer long enough to finish them, things usually work out :).

@JD I seem to respond well to the threat of public shaming :). I definitely need deadlines, even if they're self-imposed and artificial.

@Jackie I'm very glad to see you back among the community of bloggers. I'm also glad the depression has lifted. I think there was a general malaise in the air. Happy New Year!