Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Eye on the future

My friend JD left a very thoughtful comment in response to the post on my recent feeling of disequilibrium. He rightly challenged me on something that I should have never done: portray a personal opinion provoked by individual circumstance as a universal truth.

Contrary to what my statements may have implied, I am not opposed to spirituality. It's a trait that I believe lies at the core of who we are. I do have serious objections to organized religion, which I feel uses our innate inclination toward spirituality to control rather than free us. Most major religions were created under much different social circumstances than we have now. They have, in my opinion, become so intertwined with the status quo that they can't help but oppose any movement toward legitimate social change.

Of course religions aren't the only entities standing in the way of our progress. Corrupt governments, greedy corporations, and unaccountable financial institutions have also proven quite capable of making out very well while keeping us running in place. We're facing a worldwide economic meltdown, while these various mis-leaders play Nero and fiddle on amid the destruction.

I suggested to JD, half-seriously, that it might be interesting to have a dialogue to find common ground between my penchant for chaos theory and his belief that there is an organizing force in the universe. Going even further, I'd actually like to begin that conversation with a series of posts on the question: How do we arrive at an ethos for the 21st century? I'd also love to broaden it out to as many of you as would like to participate.

People around the web have been discussing the Law of Attraction for some time now. It's usually done within the context of attracting a mate or making money. I like the concept, but not the customary application. What if, however, we used the same method (listing out the characteristics we're attracted to) to conjure the future we want for our society?

I've long been an advocate of the idea that we get the future we imagine, and I hope this series of posts will be a small first step toward conjuring the future I want for the world. The ideas I'm going to discuss are in no way original. They are the synthesis of years of reading and conversing, and I'll borrow heavily from sources to which my memory can't manage the proper credit. If you know of a book or website that goes into much more details on these subjects, please do leave a comment.

This is of course very ambitious of me, and I'm not delusional enough to believe that I have a monopoly on the truth. It would help greatly if people fill in the gaps where needed, especially those with expertise in the areas discussed. In an ideal world, I hope there's even occasion for all of us to meet up face-to-face and have a more robust conversation. I know that things will only change with a groundswell of activity at the grass-roots, and the first step toward that could be finding a way for people from around the world to get together and talk about what we need.

Here's a short list of posts that came directly to mind, which I'll try to tackle over the next few weeks:
  • Seeking to resolve not exploit contradictions
  • A respect-based economy: removing the corrupting influence of the profit-motive
  • Divesting ourselves of unnecessary things
  • Openness, transparency and collaboration
  • Grass-roots, direct democracy
  • A non-anthropocentric universe
  • One mind: piecing together the mosaic
These are meant to be wide-ranging philosophical essays, as you can tell. I'm sure that the posts will take the form of me thinking out loud, and I expect to be challenged often when I stray too far from other people's experience.

Before I dive into it, I might just take a stab at the "law of attraction" game on a much more personal level and try to solicit your help in identifying my ideal new occupation. Oh, and there will still be the weekly poems and drawings to keep us amused and distracted.

12 comments:

conanima said...

hi friend,i viewed your blog its very nice,i like to share my link.visit my walkitz.blogspot.com,you can get informative things happening around the world.

Dave King said...

Your final two proposed posts I find irresistably intriguing. I shall await them with great interest.

Anonymous said...

In may ways we are on the same wave length..your list of future posts are going to be interesting

Unknown said...

How tantalising. I'm glad you are already in my list of favourites, which means I come back every day via the EC toolbar.

SUSAN SONNEN said...

Francis, this is exciting and I can't wait to read these essays!

Anonymous said...

I second (fifth?) the others in looking forward to hearing more.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Conanima I'll take a look

@Dave Thanks, I hope the others will catch your interest as well.

@Confused It's all in the execution, but I hope so :).

@Jakill EC is handy that way :).

@Susan I hope to do a few a week, and if it goes well, maybe expand this into something larger.

@Ravyn That's good motivation to stay on top of the posting :).

Bobby Revell said...

Good luck Francis. For those who listen, it may be inspiring--the others are busy watching TV and eating cheeseburgers--oblivious to the world.

I have an article on the "Law of Attraction" I'll publish this upcoming week (it's about 3/4 finished) and how it relates to prayer, voodoo, witchcraft and the rest--yet devoid of the depth inherent to yoga, Zen and Aikido--all spiritual arts I've long been involved in. I look forward to what your view is:)

Anonymous said...

OK I'm up for the challenge my friend :-) After reviewing some of the comments here I can see this is going to be very interesting and I'm going to relish it.
I will even have a much longer response to this post of yours in a few days and give it the proper due it deserves.
Take care Francis.

Anonymous said...

You may be interested in reading books like How to See Yourself as You Really Are by The Dalai Lama and Emotional Awareenss: Overcoming Obstacles to Psychological Balance and Compassion by the Dalaia Lama with Paul Ekman. Thes books explore universal principles that apply to what you are discussing. You may appreciate different kinds of insight.

Anonymous said...

Hi Francis,

These topics would be thought provoking posts. Perhaps it would also help if you include quantum atomic theory (QAT),

This would lent a factual and empirical basis of the other topics with regards to our stability and movement.

Happy blogging.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Bobby The reference to the "law of attraction" was just a conceit to introduce the series of posts, I don't actually put any stock in its magical powers :). I hope the actual posts will prove worth everyone's interest.

@JD I think it will be worthwhile, and I'm already halfway through the first follow-up post on contradiction. I have dreams of developing this into a book project, if it pans out the way I hope ... especially if I can work out a way to build in travel and a broader exchange of viewpoints.

@Liara That's actually I point I forgot to make ... obviously my thought is mostly heavily influenced by Western traditions. I'd like to get more exposure to Eastern philosophies. The first step, however, is to try to synthesize the ideas already floating around my head. Then I can take it out into the world and modify as I "test" them against other traditions. I think my hoped for end point is to try to reconcile multiple traditions into a common, more modern ethos.

@Jena I have a very superficial understanding of QAT, but I think it is very relevant to the discussion. I'm sure I'll touch on things that will tie in, but if you want to develop those ideas even further, please do.