Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Words of healing power

This is an important poem for me. I'm writing it to commemorate a very exciting event that will take place in my neighborhood next year. It's the fulfillment of a dream long held by a group of active and concerned community members.

On January 21, 2008 the Heartland Alliance will open a new federally qualified health clinic in Rogers Park. It's a project to which my friends and I have been closely linked for almost two years. Through the facility, our neighbors will be able to find a community-based, medical home that will offer a wide range of care.

In the coming weeks, I'll provide more details on the opening and the official ribbon cutting that will follow soon after. For now, I want to share the excitement I'm feeling and post the blank versed words I put together to celebrate the joyful expectation of a community's new healing power.

A small hand reaches
By Francis Scudellari

A small hand reaches high,
Lifted
Out of indifference,
Clasping
At hope, releases at last,
Embraced,
Pain held too close, bound tight
Inside,
Hers only, entirely,
Offered,
Gifted gladly, ours to/o
Accept,
Grasping answers, common
Concern
Transformed beyond caring
To heal

A child's voice allowed, up
Rises
Names his wants once muffled,
Prayers
No more pushed down, only
Spoken
To/o distant ears, whispered,
Hush-shed
On tear-moistened pillows,
Sings out,
Now awake, tuned, telling
Touches
Reveal requests plaintive,
Painting
Limned hurts, ever ours to/o
Set free
Post a Comment