Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Joyous spirit awakened, undermined

Three days before Christmas, this is as close as I can get to a holiday seasoned verse.

It's not the catchy bit of uplifting fluff you'll hear in those omnipresent traditional carols, but hey ... it is about angels.

Note: Image at right is a detail from the painting Annunciation by El Greco.

Choral Voices
By Francis Scudellari

Choral voices — sweet, angelic —
Entice my ear;
Airy intonations striking
Senseless, allure;

Awake strivings secreted deep
In shuttered soul;
Inspire yearnings; unstitch desires,
Longings heart-sown;

Lilting notes on cloud back beckon,
Ascents require;
Show lighted paths up, out, toward
Sky-rending fires;

Yet my halfway spirit falters,
Trips as it climbs;
Old doubts, fed fears, down falls, earthly
Concerns confined

10 comments:

Faultline USA said...

Thanks for sharing that verse but please tell me something. Where can I find those “omnipresent traditional carols”? I can’t even find a re-run of Christmas Vacation on the PC tube.

Francis Scudellari said...

Ok, you must be joking right? Are you in complete denial or what? If you're looking for Christmas Vacation and can't find it, well, you are pretty lost and clueless. Feel free to drop by and visit my neck of the woods and I'll disabuse you of your weird little notions about culture in America.

Faultline USA said...

You poor dear. I didn't mean to offend you. There's always something to look forward to. Progressive misery usually ends with maturity.

Francis Scudellari said...

Faultline, no worries. No offense taken. Thanks for the condescending reference to immaturity, but I'm sure I can compete with you on age if not wisdom. Progressive is a very fuzzy word. Please give specifics and I'm glad to engage you in conversation. If you'd like to discuss the emptiness of consumer based contemporary American Culture I'm all ears.

Faultline USA said...

Condescension often comes after unfounded assumptions are made. At any rate, “the emptiness of consumer based contemporary American Culture” – now that’s something I think we can agree upon!

Francis Scudellari said...

Agreed about condescension. Sorry if I over-reacted and please do feel free to engage me in conversation anytime. I'm not a big fan of National Lampoon, but I love "A Christmas Story".

Anonymous said...

Beautiful prose Francis.

BTW..how I see it?
Score Francis =3 FaultLine =0

Well done Francis.
Cheers
~JD

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi JD,
Thanks ... I'm not sure I even make sense to myself anymore :).

Dave J. said...

Hope the new year brings good times brother.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Dave. I don't know if they'll be especially good, but I'm sure they'll be interesting :).