Pages

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Friendships virtual but very real

I recall much hand wringing in certain circles when social networking first started to take hold. The blossoming of virtual communities, the thinking went, would foster increased isolation and withdrawal from real world interactions.

I've always taken a different, more hopeful view of the phenomenon — believing that extending our connections can only help to expand our perspective and improve our outlook. As important as it is to maintain and nurture our ties to friends, family and partners physically close to us, it's equally rewarding to discover kinships that reach around the world, beyond the limits of our perceptual borders.

So it was that I fearlessly leaped into the new paradigm with both feet. The first step was to begin this little blogging experiment I've titled Caught in the Stream. The second, equally significant, was to explore the many faceted imaginings of the greater blogosphere through community-building sites such as My Blog Log and Blog Catalog.

Along the way I've met dozens of diversely creative, interesting, insightful, generous and supportive bloggers who have helped me to broaden my mind and deepen my spirit. Two of my dearest virtual friends have double tagged me with another honor — bestowing on me a new badge in recognition of our mutual esteem: The Colors of Friendship award.

Deborah at Climate of Future is always quick to acknowledge my kindness, and she's been equally ready to help me every way she can while indefatigably building awareness about global warming. Michelle at Binding Ink never spares a supportive word for my writing and uses her special ink to knit together more tightly our community of writers.

Now I have the hard task of singling out just five bloggers who have taught me valuable lessons about this very real new kind of friendship. They have wide networks of admirers and may have already received this award from one of them, but I'm giving each a shout-out nonetheless:

10 comments:

Dave J. said...

Fran,
I'm honored that you consider me worthy of this acknowledgment. And honored too to be able to call you friend.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Dave. I'm glad it's appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Francis
I cannot echo Dave's sentiments better. I also add that I also feel honored to be counted as one of your friends. I recognize quality when I see it, and quality is what I see in your works. I am a true admirer of your writing abilities. Thank you for this award. I will be posting it soon on my awards page and will acknowledge it on my next post.
AFA
~JD

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Francis, Thank You for your kind words:) And what a breathtaking Post, your words accentuate your True ‘Colors Of Friendship’ and gives the blogosphere a better understanding about this alternate outlet to many fantastic People, such as Yourself.

Francis Scudellari said...

J.D.,
The award is well deserved, and I appreciate the compliment. I'm an admirer of your work as well. We just need to find a way to get what we do in front of more eyes :).

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Michelle,
I'm very thankful for all of the great folks I've come into contact with so far, and I look forward to meeting many more. You were one of the first, so you've set a high standard for all those who follow :).

Lisa McGlaun said...

Francis,

I do consider you my friend and am deeply honored that you feel the same way. Thanks for passing on this award.

I enjoy reading your blog. You always make me think. If we ever meet I'm sure you will think circles around me..:)

Hugs,
Lisa

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Lisa,

Those feelings are completely mutual. Your blog has always given me a mental, spiritual and emotional lift.

I wouldn't think circles around you at all. I'm sure you'd match me wit for wit.

Jennifer Jones said...

Ohh Francis, thank you so very much for this.

It means so much to me.

I hope you know how much of a fan I am of yours... I learn so much from you and discover such treasures in your words and thoughts!

Thank you my friend,

Big hugs,

Jen

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Jen,

I'm a huge fan of yours too ... as I'm sure you know by now. Reading your posts always sets me on a more positive path.

A big hug back to you,
F