Pages

Monday, December 10, 2007

A poetic voice: Still, small, broken

As Rod Serling used to say when introducing Twilight Zone episodes, submitted for your approval .... another new poem that probably requires no preamble.

A voice broken …
By Francis Scudellari

A voice broken, too brief, cut-off
Before words, sounds can draw me back,
Disembodied calling, reaches
Far from misty-eyed past, beckons,
Takes me mindful aside, adrift
Alone, down wandering, once more
Twisted paths, visited failures,
Fumbled through memories, boxed up

Missing pieces, jagged end scene;
Never wholly answered, accepted,
I silence whispered doubt, inner
Demons pulled close, pushing too
Patient with a present, thought blessed;
Too long waiting for signs, divine
Pointed nowhere, now, here, I risk
Futures decided without me

8 comments:

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

No approval necessary! At last a new poem fresh from the ink well of your Soul. Whence into the Twilight Zone of unbeknownst Futures we all must venture. Perhaps without a neon sign, nonetheless; even one bright star can lead to wonders and awe.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Michelle,
It sounds like you might have your own poem brewing there :).

Anonymous said...

AHHH he approaches into the darkness
Like a giant on the hunt...
Welcome dear friend
there is much room in here.

Well done Francis. Love your style. Quality and intelligence intermixed.

~JD

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks as always JD. I'm sure I'll tire of the style (as will the readers) before long, but there's still much room to explore in there.

Anonymous said...

I doubt they will tire of the style. Everyone breeds within a measure of their own darkness. To bring it forth is a validation of their own anxiety, of their own fears. Tired of the style? Bah.
:-)
~JD

Francis Scudellari said...

Fair enough, but I think I'll start exploring more narrative forms. You do a good job of that.

I get the sense I'm starting to repeat myself.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I just found this blog on accident, but I read the first line and had to keep reading! It resonated with emotion in the depths of my soul. I haven't read a good poem like that in a long time.

From a young poet aspiring to greatness.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks so much Cam! I hope you'll take a look at the other poems on the site and let me know what you think. I'll be posting a new one later this evening, in fact. I'd love to see anything you're working on too so feel free to email me.