Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2008

The song running through my head

Songs often run through my head unprovoked, but as Christmas wraps up for another year I have a particular tune that predictably resurfaces within my synapses for the occasion. It's John Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" and it's a song that I wish more people would associate with the holiday.

If you truly honor the religious teachings of the man who lends his name to this holiday — a man who is also known as the "prince of peace" — you should do everything in your power to foster the golden rule that he preached surpassed all of the ten commandments: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

I dedicate this video to the incoming Obama administration, and I pray that they'll heed John Lennon's and Yoko Ono's words ... "War is over, if you want it." It's time for us to wage peace, not war.

5 comments:

Dave King said...

Absolutely right, but the command presupposes that we do, indeed, love ourselves, and that is sometimes the hardest part - and the most overlooked.

Jena Isle said...

You know Francis, I have been hearing this song since the Beatles era, and I liked the melody, but it's only now that I understood what the background children are saying.."war is over," lol..it's the first time that I have watched the video that is why.

Indeed this is a very powerful message that should be replayed to remind everyone especially those in the government of this long time clamor.

and you're right about the golden rule. It is my guiding principle in life. (wink).

Happy new year.

SUSAN SONNEN said...

This is one of my very favorite Christmas songs. It encourages me to step back and take a look at the past year and think about what I can do to bring love to the world the next year.

Anonymous said...

that song just makes me wistful.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Dave You're on to something there. We may have a bad case of self-loathing here in the US (and elsewhere).

@Jena I love how the song opens with the line "and what have you done?" ... I think that's a question we all should be asking as the year wraps up ... especially those in government. The golden rule is a great guiding principle to have :).

@Susan That's why I love it so much too.

@Cooper I get goosebumps whenever I hear it.