Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Drowsy inspiration

I'm trying to develop more of a narrative voice in my poems. This one started out from a very simple personal experience ... laying in bed with the covers pulled over my head while music wafted in from the other room. I put that moment into a much different context, and abstracted it from myself by sharing it with a third party.

Cocoons
by Francis Scudellari

Sleep-nestled in
perhaps
she unfolds too
comfortably
in-woven tales,
cocoons
self-spun over-
long ago til
head-to-toe rapt
her mind
swings to-and-fro
up-tethered with
a single strand

The silky pod
floats some-
time jostled by
sing-song voices
snake-tongued sirens
seeming
unattached
that each day drift
in, try to lure
her out
with their stories
of fabled lands,
distant faces

Yet, warmly tucked
within
her soothing dreams,
she sleeps on not
eager to join in
clockwork
worlds, their storybook
readings of love
instead waits for
her own
free-form scenes to
outside unfurl
on painted wing

3 comments:

Charles Sapp said...

Hey Francis. First, I would like to thank you for adding my book badge to your blog and website.

Your technique on this poem is impeccable, the vivid and dreamlike imagery is great along with the technical flow that rolls off the tip of the tongue. Rather an experiment or from an experienced writer, this poem speaks genius! I look forward to more.

Jena Isle said...

Brilliant. You could post these poems at helium for a wider range of viewers. And connect with other poets too, Cheers, and Happy holidays.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Charles If I ever self-publish, I may use your quote on the jacket :). I hope the badges bring you some traffic and sales.

@Jena I'll have to check out helium ... I don't know much about it.