Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Variations on a book meme (bilingual)

I have been twice tagged with book-related memes by two fellow devotees to the art of virtual writing.

First, Patricia at Jane's Writing passed along the Page 123 Book Meme. Here are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

And here's the relevant passage from the top book on my nightstand pile -- No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy:
I know they's a lots of things in a family history that just plain aint so. Any family. The stories gets passed on and the truth gets passed over.
Next, Hanna from Amori, Poesie Arte, Chat called me out for the Page 161 Meme with the single charge of "selecting a book, opening it on page 161 and choosing a complete sentence." To honor Hanna's native tongue, I'll switch to Alberto Moravia's Il Conformista (The Conformist), which was a little lower in said pile:
Allora, improvvisamente, Marcello capì perché la vista della donna gli aveva ispirato quel doloroso sentimento di rammarico: in realtà, come si accorse, egli non voleva che ella facesse il piacere dell'agente e vederla subirne l'abbraccio l'aveva fatto soffrire come di fronte ad una profanazione intollerabile.
And here's my probably faulty translation (I'm sure Hanna will correct me in the comments):
Then, suddenly, Mercello understood why the sight of the woman had inspired that painful feeling of regret: in reality, as he realized, he didn't want her to have pleased the agent, and to see her subjected to his embrace made Marcello suffer as if facing an intolerable desecration.
Since both of these memes have been circulating for a while, I'll resort to my all-too-frequent tactic of the anonymous tag. If you (yeah you reading this) haven't done either of these yet and would like to, please have at them.

13 comments:

fihanna said...

cIAO fRANCIS!
optimal job!
U have that some gather...poetico-filosofico!
You can translate very well in English!
bene bene,
Tu leggi in italiano Moravia?

fihanna said...

..yes,
"her subjected to his embrace"
senza partecipazione,
then, why Marcello fosse:
"painful feeling of regret"?

Francis Scudellari said...

Ciao Hanna,
I'm trying to read Moravia in Italian, but he's definitely a challenge for me so I'm making my way very slowly. My sense is that the mere idea of the woman being with the agent, passive or not, bothers Marcello ... just as it would bother him to see a sacred object defiled. Beauty corrupted.

fihanna said...

ottimo ragionamento!
Tu sei più bravo di me, mannaggia!
Anch'io leggo in inglese,(ps.porto già gli occhiali;))
Ma per imparare gli idiomi bisogna vivere in paese dove si parla l'inglese, da soli i libri non bastano..
Hai letto T.Mann "La morte a Venezia"?
ciao FS

Francis Scudellari said...

You're absolutely right about books not being enough. It's been 6 years since I was last in Italy, so my ability to speak the language is very poor right now. I need to find my way over there this year :). I read Death in Venice in High School, so it's been a while. Coincidentally, a friend just lent me a DVD of Visconti's adaptation from 1971.

Anonymous said...

I'm a poor meme for sure I've never been able to do them in volume. I ammuch the voyeur though as I love reading the tags and memes of others.
The book thing is all to boring as
"Regression Methods for Policy Anal" on the page required is still an index.

peace out francis

Francis Scudellari said...

That's ok Cooper ... I'm not the best meme person either as I'm continually flouting the rules. I muddle through as best I can.

"Regression Methods for Policy Analysis" huh? Wow, that sounds like a very compelling read ;). I admire you for slogging through it.

Fran said...

Ciao Francis
Alberto Moravia, l'autore dell'amore e dei sentimenti.
He was very right about women and men thoughts, relationships.
Great Author !
Fran

kellypea said...

I just saw the movie No Country for Old Men and have been wanting to read the book -- which is rare. Usually it's the other way around. I think I'd like to think about the difference between the two. As far as this meme goes...it would probably take me all day because I'd need to read things into it that aren't really there, and wasting quite a bit of time enjoying all the passages I was sifting through. But I haven't seen this one out there yet.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks for the comment Fran. It's my first time reading Moravia, but I like his writing very much. Marcello, the lead character obviously has a very interesting psychological perspective.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Kelly,
I loved the movie, and it was quite faithful to the book ... at least as far as I've gone so far. I tend to get tempted toward books by movies as it's more rewarding in that direction than the other way. Have at the first meme as there's less thought involved ... just find and post the sentences. You may still get lost revisiting other passages though.

Marjie said...

hah...great meme. I think I'd have to steal this one for myself. thanks for the idea hun ;)

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Marjie,
I'm always happy to share good ideas ... I might also occasionally throw in some bad ones just to keep people honest :). I'll be by later to see what you do with it.