Pages

Friday, March 21, 2008

Second sight: Random beauty

I tried to combine two purposes in this poem. First, I wanted to marry words to my Second Sight drawing. Second, I hoped to incorporate the weekly theme of Random Beauty proposed at Jane's Inspirations (I've needed external musing lately). The verse went through many incarnations before I finally came up with this ...

Random beauty

By Francis Scudellari

From youth,
My ever minded eyes
Mistook order
For truth; lured from chaos,
Followed
In-word
Cautions, learned not-living,
Chased flickering
Signs, brilliance-mixed shadows,
Feigning
Substance;
Pulsed flows -- electric thought,
Liquid feeling --
In-formed false, direction-
Tricked sense,
Scripted
Pathways for love, silent
Caring buried;
Divinely borne deceit
Pulling

Till life,
Clouded by distorting lens,
Made thick with time,
Awakens to blindness,
And I
Cast off
The jaded glass; sight-less
See shattered bits
Sprayed like moments; glimpse
Random
Beauty
In mirrored shards, scattered
As seeds; sowing
Tender epiphanies,
Stemmed hopes
Bursting
Through cracked surfaces, buds
Intertwined, sprout
Leafy, coincident
Futures

6 comments:

Jane Doe said...

I loved this piece. I especially like these lines:

'In mirrored shards, scattered
As seeds; sowing
Tender epiphanies,'

Wonderful poem Francis. Have you ever been published yet?

Anonymous said...

beautiful piece...

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Jane,

I'm glad you like it. I was having trouble getting all the ideas to mesh. I still think there are a couple rough spots.

I haven't been published anywhere but here yet, but I also haven't really spent any time trying. I just sent a poem into a mag this week, so maybe that will change soon.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Robert. I appreciate the positive feedback. I've been enjoying your poetry too.

Gemma Wiseman said...

The poem evolves as random beauty. Somehow "mirrored shards" reflects the peeling away of beautiful pieces.

Just lovely!

Gemma

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks so much Gemma! I'm glad you stopped by, as now I've discovered your wonderful site and poetry too.