Pages

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Birthright: Final Chapter

By Francis Scudellari

Jacob's Reward

There was a loud knock at Jacob’s door. Bang. Bang. Bang. Jacob sat hidden in the dark. He cowered before an inevitability. Bang. Bang. Bang. Its steady beat echoed throughout the building.

Jacob knew who it was. Jacob knew that he wasn’t going away. Bang. Bang. Bang. The door bulged with each blow; a worn-too-thin wall waiting to burst and release the ever stronger pulsing blood behind. The loudly repeated stresses began to warp the door jamb.

Fearful for his damage deposit, Jacob staggered to his feet. He flipped the light switch behind the couch. He walked unsteadily toward the incessant thundering.

The door squealed as he slowly pulled it toward him. There on the landing stood Edom. Twin licks of flame, his eyes burned with an anger Jacob had never seen. In his left hand, Edom held a rolled up copy of the current Grounds. The moist warmth of his beer-soaked breath brushed against Jacob’s cheeks.

“I warned you Jake. I warned you not to write it.”

Jacob closed his eyes in shame. He bowed his head, silently seeking forgiveness; a presumptuous pardon he knew that he would never receive.

There was a rush of movement in the doorway, and Jacob felt Edom’s thick knuckles strike his gut. The wind in his lungs escaped through his throat in a sudden gust. His knees buckled and Jacob crumpled to the floor. The stereotypical fish out of water, his mouth gasped greedily at the stale air.

“Why don’t you write a story about that, Jake.” Punctuating his words, Edom tossed the newspaper on Jacob’s pale face. He bounced down the stairs and left Jacob on the floor prone -- his knees clutched fast to his chest.

As the air gradually filtered back into his stomach, Jacob rolled on his back. Still, staring up at the shadowed ceiling, he saw a gathering shape. A seeming shift that floated vaguely in the orange lamp light. Her thin, sharp outlined arms reached down to him. Lifting him up closer to her, she breathed renewed life into his trembling body.

Jacob, finding his feet beneath him, walked over to the table. Sitting down at the typewriter, he cracked his knuckles. He stretched his arms over his head and let out a guilty chuckle as he began to type: “A smug smile crept across Joseph’s face as he climbed the musty staircase. His dirty blond hair was a tangled mess.”

8 comments:

Catherine @ Sharp Words said...

This is the third time I've tried t post this comment - damn Blogger!

Anyway, I started reading Birthright at about Chapter 9 (which is when I started reading this blog) and although I didn't go back and read earlier chapters, I was still intrigued. So after skimming the final post, I read the whole lot in one go and was very impressed. It's an interesting story with a fascinating ending and great illustrations - you create images as well with words and with pictures, and I'm jealous!

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks so much Catherine. I'm glad you liked it and appreciate the positive feedback. Now we'll see if I can start another one :). Sorry about the Blogger issues.

Lisa McGlaun said...

Leave it to me to read the end first. I'd seen you were posting a continuing story and I'll admit that I didn't take the time (told myself I'd go back and do it when I had longer at the computer). I didn't and now I know the end of the story..:)

Great writing Francis. Now I want to know what started it all. I'll have to back through your archives to find the beginning..but that's my own fault.

You are very talented in so many ways. I'm glad that I know you.

Lisa

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Lisa,

Obviously, I feel the same way about you and your writing. I can't wait until I get a chance to read your published work :).

I've got a drop-down menu in the sidebar that has all the chapters, which may make it easier to catch up. I was a bit conflicted about ending it as now I'll have to think about another serial work.

Ruthie said...

I like the ending. It's fitting.

I, too, have had blogger issues.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Ruthie,
Thanks. I'm not sure what's going on with Blogger/Google, but there is much weirdness in their wires.

Anonymous said...

Hiya.

I just found your site via entrecard. Have to say, I really am enjoying it, especially the birthright series. Very well-crafted stuff!

Will you be starting another series like this anytime soon?

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Bob,
Thanks. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I am planning on putting up another series shortly. I think it's time to get back into story telling after a prolonged bout with poetry.