Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Playing the Archangel (an acrostic)

Militantly mustachioed, at least in my mind's eye, and
Invincibly attired toe-to-wing in sterling silver, he
Commands legions less scary than our mechanized monsters, but
Hell's soon-to-be tenants are awed enough to scurry. Swords, not
Angelic in a cherubic sense, wilt Lucifer's pride, and
Exiting those gates, the now-Dark Prince howls his lament. I picture
Laughs on Cloud 9, Michael sharing beers and war stories with chums.



It's Day 27 of NaPoWriMo and the prompt from ReadWritePoem is let someone else take the lead, in which we're suppose to write an acrostic poem with the first letter of each line spelling out a word that has special meaning to us. I used my confirmation name of Michael, which I picked as a 13-year-old because the Archangel seemed particularly bad-ass, as far as saints go.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael IS pretty bad ass, isn't he? I enjoyed this. :)

Lola said...

Michael! My Longest Loved Angel! Same reasons as yours. Mike kicks ignorant ASS!

Unknown said...

"Invincibly attired toe-to-wing in sterling silver, he
Commands legions less scary than our mechanized monsters"

Although I have always been taken by images of Michael, I prefer to think of the saint's more traditional qualities than his badass attitude, Francis!

flaubert said...

Yeah, Francis. Michael is a cool angel.
Pamela

Erin Davis said...

Very cool. An angelic force to be reckoned with and to have beers with.

The Scrybe said...

Oh my, the words really seem to be pouring out of you right now; it's a joy to witness. Another enjoyable piece :)

Rallentanda said...

Cardinal Pell ( I don't think I imagined this)said that most people will go to heaven. So you're in with a chance Francis!

Francis Scudellari said...

@Mermaid Thanks... I don't regret my choice, though Sebastian finishes a close second. Better to pick a hero than a martyr, imho.

@Lola He definitely does!

@Derrick Tradition, schmadition :).

@Pamela I'm not sure if I bent the rules by picking an Angel rather than a saint.

@Erin The Church hierarchy probably wouldn't endorse the beer part of this scenario, but I've known a few priests to put back the pints.

@Scrybe Thanks... I don't know how well I'll keep it flowing after the NaPoWriMo challenge ends.

@Rall A chance is all I need ;).