Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

Redundant torch: More comment-inspired poetry

Today, I continue with my (admittedly plodding) attempt to write poems based on titles suggested by the spectacularly inspiring comments from my post Interactive Exercise. I apologize, retroactively and in advance, for turning so many folks into unwilling abettors of my strange creative process.

The verse below is based on Claire's very intriguing phrase Redundant Torch. I'll soon post a companion drawing for it to add even more redundancy.

Redundant torch
By Francis Scudellari

If I could tell
Which way this flame
Will leap (up, down?)
When the big gust
(Finally?) comes
I'd hold a torch
(Above, below?)
To catch its spark
Mid-hop (fleeing?)
And keep it in
Kindling limbo
Where it will burn
(Safely?) until
I can coax it
(Willing or not?)
Back inside me

8 comments:

Jena Isle said...

Hi Francis, this poem is different from the previous ones for me. It's redundant (smiles) Just like what the title says.

Brilliant Francis...
Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I think I can imagine the image that would go well with the words, must admit redundant torch is an interesting term, great way to write from inspiration.

Anonymous said...

interesting poem and one that insires thought..and like Mama bear it brings an image to mind...

Lux said...

That's an intriguing way to write a poem!!!

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jules I think I'm going to keep my blog ad free for now, but I'll check out your site if I ever change my mind.

@Jena Thanks for reading and commenting :). I did try something different with this one. It's not the deepest effort.

@SMB I hope the image lives up to your mental picture of it. It is a great phrase.

@Robert I'll be interested to hear what you and Sassy Mama Bear think about the image when I post it.

@Lux Thank you. I take inspiration where I can find it :).

Chester said...

HapiBlogging to you my friend! Have a nice day!

crpitt said...

Sorry I have been lapse in my blog visiting and missed this.

I am rather taken with the verse :)

Francis Scudellari said...

@Chester Happy blogging to you.

@Claire No worries ... I think you're time was much better spent partying with Olga. Thanks for the inspiration :).