Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Writer's block and an unproductive day

In the lazy, hazy days of Summer, it can be hard to focus, create, write or pretend. As much as we fight it, some days are just meant to fade rather than blaze. Today was one such day of unproductivity for me, and rather than continuing to struggle for ideas, I'm going to retreat back into my music. Taking a deep breath — a pause to refresh but not completely surrender — I'll let the White Stripes speak my mind, since it's stubbornly not sharing its thoughts with me.

This blog may be a labor of love, but it's not always the requited variety. Tomorrow, I'll try to jump-start this problem relationship to get things back on track. New directions may be required and old hang-ups overcome, as I sense that I'm currently caught in a deep, still and muddy stream.

I just don't know what to do with myself
by the White Stripes

I just don't know what to do with myself
I don't know what to do with myself
planning everything for two
doing everything with you
and now that we're through
I just don't know what to do

I just don't know what to do with myself
I don't know what to do with myself
movies only make me sad
parties make me feel as bad
cause I'm not with you
I just don't know what to do

like a summer rose
needs the sun and rain
I need your sweet love
to beat love away

well I don't know what to do with myself
just don't know what to do with myself
planning everything for two
doing everything with you
and now that we're through
I just don't know what to do

like a summer rose
needs the sun and rain
I need your sweet love
to beat love away

I just don't know what to do with myself
just don't know what to do with myself
just don't know what to do with myself
I don't know what to do with myself

7 comments:

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

'Muddy streams' are sometimes good; for there the best mud pies can be made, mud castles constructed, or the best mud bathes had can be obtained! Cause when it comes to the treads on life, sometimes we just gotta get “a little mud on the tires”!

ThatGirl said...

those lyrics couldn't ring more true.

I just dont know what to do with myself either.

Anonymous said...

Yup Writer's Block sucks

Jennifer Jones said...

Hi Francis...

I hold to the belief that there are times to write and times to think, times to be active and times to rest, times to be engaged and times to disengage, times to awaken and times to sleep...

Hmmm sounds like a scripture! LOL!

Hugs,

jen

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks all for the comments ... I will try to address them in my usual unhelpful fashion.

Jeane: I'm certainly not above sinking into the muck, but I try to avoid slinging any.

Tracy: I think it's a common complaint these days.

Alex: I partly blame the news, which didn't provide me much inspiration yesterday.

Jennifer: Yes, turn, turn, turn. I agree with the timing issue, but I'm also trying to force myself to write something each day so I'm more fluid with it. It's worked for the most part :).

kellypea said...

I love this song. And I was in a funk last week -- a huge one. Hang in there, or find something to grouse about that really irritates you. Then you can throw things. Or just think about throwing things. =)

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Kelly, thanks for the comment! I will do the visualization of throwing things, as I can't afford to break too much :).