Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Wading into the darkness, where Wild Things lurk

Today I did some digging into boxes around my apartment, and I found my set of Where the Wild Things Are figurines (see an example of one of the darling critters at left). For close followers of this blog, you'll remember my previous post about Maurice Sendak's funny scary creatures of the night and how they captured my imagination at a young age. They have yet to release their grip on my thought box, as I'm still quite giddy with viewing the magical little monsters that have been lurking in my closet.

If you remember the story book adventure, young Max escapes from the doldrums of his room to the land of Wild Things, the outwardly fearsome but eventually engaging monsters of his dream world. It's a book with lessons for young and old, teaching us it's better to conquer our fears than try to run from them. I've always liked following Max's lead, to seek out those things that go bump in the night. The darkness may conceal some dangers others' prefer to keep hidden, but it's also home to some treasures otherwise left unexplored. Out of the blinding hot glare of daylight, I'll continue to live on the fringes seeking my inspiration and creativity as the shadows overtake meeker souls.

To honor these spirits of my childhood and my enduring inkling toward the inky night, I'm including the lyrics of a favorite and appropriately winsome song by arty rockers Camper Van Beethoven.

Come On Darkness
by Camper Van Beethoven

Come on slowly
Won't you rise and come
To the top of this hill
Where the cool breeze spills
Now that it's dusk
Someone drive them off the street
Let the pavements cool
Come on now
So come on love
And lay your body down, next to mine
'Cause what we're longing for has withered in the light
Come on darkness
Lay your body down on us
We've been calling you for so long now
We're weary of your name
Come on blackness
Let me breathe you in
'Cause with this clattering and din we are calling you
Brother, have you got a smoke
Or baby, have you got a dime
Seems like we're all a little down on our luck
And baby if you're workin' now out in Bakersfield
At some honky-tonk they call the Wagon Wheel
I feel swept and you feel rolled away
So come on darkness, I need you today
Come on blackness, let me breathe you in
'Cause with this clattering and din I am calling you
Come on darkness
Come on darkness

6 comments:

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Francis, Thank you for bringing this character from your set of Where the Wild Things Are figurines - out of the dark closet and into the light for us all to enjoy! May the ‘spirits of your childhood’ continue to be a beacon in your darkest hours, as you set sail on many new adventures in life!

MoonDanzer said...

simply marvelous...I do have some fond memories muself of my chatty kathy...but, alas, I don't know what happened to her. Bravo to you for finding yours. I just now realized I have never favored you...I do so apologize...I shall attend to that now!!:) Jackie

Francis Scudellari said...

Jeane: I may share others ... it will depend on them agreeing to pose for me. I have other possible guests waiting to be discovered too. They're good company on adventures, yes.

Jackie: I hope the post spurs you to dig out your own childhood fun. I'm always favored when you visit :).

kellypea said...

Lovely book. My youngest really loved it when he was small. Sendak is a master, and what a perfect way to recall childhood memories. Keep him sitting where he can make you smile.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Kelly, yes I'll try to keep him out of the box now.

ThatGirl said...

Always appreciate the things that make you smile, bring you joy and remind you of happier times.