Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

An Illiterate Criticism of Identity Politics

I, a hyphenated Italian,
will claim Shakespeare
descended the long
Romanesque
staircase, to write
our empiric wrongs.

It's all there in the plays,
if you've a keen enough eye
to catch these things,
and his name has cachet,
while mine needs
a laureled bling.



The Day 20 NaPoWriMo prompt from ReadWritePoem is a hero poem. I took this in a slightly different direction than full-on idol worship, but I do have much fondness for the Bard. This is the second straight day with a Shakespeare reference, maybe that's because his birthday is coming up.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure your name has a gravitas all it's own, Francis.

Wayne Pitchko said...

other good poem Francis...enjoyed your words again...thanks for sharing

flaubert said...

Francis,
I like this. I second stanza is particularly interesting.
Pamela

Rallentanda said...

Hi! phenated Italian :)
You're right. The answers are all there in Will's lines.

Kay said...

Bravo!

Francis Scudellari said...

@Derrick The gravitas of the moon :).

@Wayne Sharing is a two-way street. Thanks for being on the other end.

@Pamela You can't go wrong with Big Bill.

@Rall I've even found a few in between the lines.

@Kay Grazie!