Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Gaining a Perspective on Earth Day

She stood
thus, I wrapped fleshy
tendrils about scratchy
bark and consoled her
for all the trees I imagined,
rightly or wrongly,
were sacrificed to rusty
notions of progress
neatly packaged in
emporium form;
the saffron leaves
and peppery roots
lost to dusty
reverberations.

That's when
the crow came,
glowing eyes above
fierce wings, his caw
hinting at mockery:
"Don't flinch,
I'm here to help,
and you'll not get far
imposing such
improper intentions."

"The trick," he went on
reassuring me,
"is to always
stand apart.

"Yesterday's sigh becomes
tomorrow's squall
unless today's kept
at a distance.

"Fly up,
but not too fast, or
the only thing you'll feel
is dizzy."

And that,
without another word,
is just what
he did.



The Day 22 NaPoWriMo prompt from ReadWritePoem is a wordle, the jumble of a word-prompt you see pictured at right. I managed to fit all of the vocabulary into this my strange attempt to commemorate Earth Day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I especially like the first stanza: vivid, unusual descriptions.

flaubert said...

Excellent and visual. Great use of the wordle.
Pamela

lucychili said...

yes
trees are treasures =)

Francis Scudellari said...

@Matt I specialize in the unusual :).

@Pamela I'm very fond of the wordles, and I'll miss them when their gone.

@Lucy Absolutely.