Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hyperbole Fills the Belly and Keeps It Lean

"The Pacific's the best
show on TV!
Best ... show ... ever,"
one lean teen blares,
wanting the whole train
to know it.

I don't know
how many shows
he's seen in his thin
decade of watching, but
that won't stop him
from its knowing.

I do envy
such certitude
compared to my fat
knack for lacking it, and
I bet he sleeps
well, tonight.

His mind's eased,
its hunger not baited.
Me, I'll be
restless and gorging
just to begin
the comparison.



It's Day 25 of NaPoWriMo and the prompt from ReadWritePoem is first things first, in which we're supposed to use the first words spoken to us today to launch our poems. I used bits of an overheard conversation from last week instead.

7 comments:

Marianne said...

So true, well done! Only the very young and inexperienced can be so positive ...

Rallentanda said...

Nah...your life is more interesting...I'd rather be you
(than him)

Anonymous said...

it's all about the production values--if it looks expensive, it must be good.
(probably shouldn't have said that since I was about to tell you how nice the new blog format looks)

flaubert said...

Francis,
Love the third stanza of this. Great poem.
Pamela

1965 Footprints said...

I love the phrase you use, "in his thin decade of watching.." compared to your "fat knack for lacking it"
Nice comparison!

Francis Scudellari said...

@Marianne I'm sure I was exactly the same way, once upon a time :).

@Rall I'd rather be me too, but I don't have much of a choice ;)

@Barbara Slick packaging can make a difference, and I'm not beyond trying that trick.

@Pamela Thanks... I'm going on an incertitude diet.

@1965 I get lucky sometimes and the words cooperate...

Unknown said...

Another vote for "fat/knack for lacking it", which I know couldn't possibly be true! We can all talk in certainties even if we know better.