Pages

Thursday, October 08, 2009

East of the Sun

I often try to sing of penciled landscapes
where we two might meet.
My clumsy words hatching crumpled rocks
to top a barren line,
and in between their gaps, thick trunks I sketch,
to sprout bouquets
of vibrant green. But I give these trees too much
life, too much choice,
missing you, they pull up their roots and escape
the page to run

East of the sun,
And west of the moon,
We'll build a dream house
Of love, dear;


down mirrored corridors.
The future and familiar trade steely gaze,
as wooden crowds lead
in fruitful chase, pointing my not-belonging
eyes toward stainless pods;
squat glowing bellies lined with leather laps
where I could slip, nestle
and pillowed watch digits whirl backward,
dialing a piped-in lilt,
my lullaby to a past that trips its way

Near to the sun in the day,
Near to the moon at night;
We'll live in a lovely way dear,
Living on love and pale moonlight.


across black-and-white tiles. Instead I dodge
as I skip-dance through
dozens of mechanical players, lounging
above carved pieces,
hand-painted with perplexing stares. These
salt-and-pepper pawns
I grab and toss shoulder-ward, unsettling
over-recked games not fit
for the fancied fix I place on distant cracked
pedestal. Then, a stray

Just you and I, forever and a day;
Love will not die, we'll keep it that way.


among banqueted queues
of chattering guests, who ivory arrayed
wait beneath vaulted glass,
I see your finery's smile beyond them,
with pen poised atop
my hard-bound tale of tender leaves. The ink
on cream, once-written
you tear, so that together we can fold
papyrus sail boats
homeward pushed by a shared breath's slow unwind

Up among the stars we'll find
A harmony of life, too lovely, too.
East of the sun and west of the moon, dear,
East of the sun and west of the moon.


Francis Scudellari



This poem is written in response to Read Write Prompt #95: The poetics of the mash-up, by celebrity poet Matthew Hittinger at Read Write Poem. Of the suggested mash-up techniques, I chose to mix a poem I was working on with the lyrics from a song.

The poem takes as its inspiration an actual dream sequence I had, which was a bit of a mash-up in itself. There was some very sudden scene-shifting, and it included a piped-in recording of "East of the Sun" as sung by Billie Holiday (and those are the lyrics interjected here). I tried my best to make the dreamy bits a lot more coherent, while preserving the metaphorical quality of the experience.

12 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Beautiful words, and it meshed together wonderfully.

Unknown said...

Hi Francis,

I so enjoyed reading this. You have blended your own beautiful words with those of the song - beautifully!

Cynthia Short said...

This was so lovely and dreamlike..and I liked your idea of using the song within.

Anonymous said...

Nice balancing of your own verse with the verses of the song. The voice you've chosen and the particulars and details really fit both in rhythm and in mood.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Francis, have you been hanging around my writing porch? This lovely line describes a familiar quality:

"I see your finery's smile beyond them, with pen poised atop
my hard-bound tale of tender leaves."

Enjoyed these words immensely.

Donald harbour said...

This is great! Your words and the song flow together very well. I'll be humming this old standard the rest of the day. Enjoyed reading the poem.
Regards,
DH

Unknown said...

Your dream with its beautiful imagery blended so wonderfully with the Billie Holiday song. It really was a great idea to use a song for meshing. Thank you.

Deb said...

Lovely use of the prompt to suit your voice, and Billie's!

Anonymous said...

I love the image of the trees escaping the page, great work.

Tumblewords: said...

Surely, this poem does sing! Finely mashed - your dream appears as part of the lyrics and vice versa.

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done.....but I have a problem mashing anything of the lovely Billie H....but you have mashed this nicely for sure

gautami tripathy said...

Reads wonderful. Great mash-up!

objectivity