Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

After School

Backed against an unclean slate,
this teacher, much more preacher,
vowelizes her vague threats
with a dry-throated croak: "I'll learn
you both to behave, or else!"

A one-eyed stare sawed in two
shows that she means vehemence,
tying down small-town thrashers
in the straight-jacketed comport
of a well-raised progeny.

Their permafrosted pause firms
the footing for lessoned spells
that had giggled on the brink
of insolent "Chelations"
and its indecent relations.

But this light-bubbling silence
irresistibly explodes
in a "Cosmoramic" spray
of sophomoric rhymes – soapy
language tickling her upturned no's.

"One more outburst ..." and she'll make
twin reprobates rinse away
too-capricious grunts and groans,
exulting in the power
of a well-placed investment:

her overtime, their effort.

Francis Scudellari



This poem is written in response to Read Write Prompt #96: spam, spam, spam at Read Write Poem. The fifteen "Wordle" prompts, taken from spam e-mails, are italicized. I used the motif of a spelling lesson to avoid having to write lines that made sense of the words Chelations and Cosmoramic (whose definitions bred more confusion than clarity).

18 comments:

poefusion said...

love this poem. it's great. especially the end. have a great day.

Anonymous said...

I may have had that teacher. Fifth grade

rallentanda said...

Everybody needs a teacher like this.I still receive hate mail
from ex students.

Anonymous said...

Very good! I love: "soapy / language tickling her upturned no's."

anthonynorth said...

You took me straight back to class.
Excellent poem.

Unknown said...

Being a teacher, I have given that "one eyed stare sawed in two" and now I have a name for that tactical approach. Thanks so much. Brilliant poem, Francis!

Irene said...

What a minefield, the classroom.

Unknown said...

Hi Francis,

I'm glad no-one made me spell those two particular words. I don't think they existed when I was at school! I like how you used this one:
""Cosmoramic" spray
of sophomoric rhymes "

Donald Harbour said...

Francis, that was delightful. Well, done!
Regards,
DH

Anonymous said...

Great use of the words; I really like the self-conscious environment of the classroom, a perfect place for reprobates to be ironically described so articulately.

Cynthia Short said...

So Good! You did a great job plus I LOVE poems that tell a story...

gautami tripathy said...

As a maths teacher who teaches secondary classes, I totally relate to this.

exulting mixture

Raven's Wing Poetry said...

Agreed with Linda. Love the "A one-eyed stare sawed in two" line. Good write. Kudos for using all the words.

-Nicole

Anonymous said...

from Therese L. Broderick -- I love the irony of that teacher's first ungrammatical phrase "I'll learn you." And the two students - it takes two to make trouble!

Paul Oakley said...

A one-eyed stare sawed in two

Yes! That's strong stuff. I'm glad my teachers were never quite that extreme...

Good poem.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Since blogspot has hated me lately - please note this is Julie Jordan Scott...

and I adore the stanza which begins "One more outburst..." I can hear the universal teacher voice making this warning/proclamation... love it.

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done you early bird thnks for sharing

Elizabeth Enslin said...

Clever and very effective way to work in the challenging words. The specific details really bring the scene to life. Wonderful work.