Pages

Friday, January 09, 2009

Seeing other cities

Eventually all relationships grow stale, and after 28 years together I'm beginning to think it's time to move on. Chicago and I have had a really great run together, but it's not really working out for either of us any longer.

We each have a share of the blame to shoulder, and she's got some pretty big ones to pile on the criticism. I looked the other way when she hung out with friends of questionable character and threw money around on superficial baubles. I stuck it out through the frigid times when I had to retreat into my apartment until she warmed to me again.

Admittedly, I wasn't pulling my end as well as I should have; especially with the tax base dwindling each year. I did some flirting with other locales, but never anything serious. To tell the truth, her individual quirks became less and less endearing. They began to grate on my nerves to the point where I lost interest.

We're holding each other back. So, if there's a metropolis out there looking for a fun new citizen to add to her ranks, you can reach me here. I prefer large public transportation systems, some nice greenery and cozy neighborhood bars. A growing economy would seal the deal. Feel free to send a photo, but I can also look you up on Google Earth.

In other news, I'm working on my poem-a-week resolution and should deliver on that promise (for better or worse) tomorrow.

11 comments:

Jena Isle said...

Hello Francis,

You're welcome to my City. It is called the City of Angels..lol...A bustling city of everything under the sun.

But I love it here; it has held a unique attraction for me, with its diverse culture. On one side the bustling, twinkling kleig lights and on the other part, the peaceful, nurturing arms of Mother nature.

Good luck with your decision. God bless.

Anonymous said...

good luck on your search..I did one awhile ago and came up with a new place..:)

Dave King said...

It's easy to start thinking you're married to a city when you're not. Good luck!

Unknown said...

This was an original slant for your post, Francis. I've never been to Chicago but I have a wonderful friend who comes from there.

I'm looking to move too. It's the seaside that's calling me. You could try out Poole as well, with the second biggest harbour in the world. You'd have to move countries though.

Anonymous said...

Its called Seasonal Affective Disorder. You are a sensative contemplative man with a big heart & 28 years is a long time.

If you go I will miss you and we both know its about me.

Anonymous said...

OK, I've come up with the perfect spot for you to live on the globe.

Bari in the Puglia region of Italy.......and when you go take me with you.

None said...

Phoenix is nice if you like hot weather and want to live downtown.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jena If nothing else, I'd love to visit your city ... it's sounds quite magical the way you describe it. I don't know that I actually will move any time soon, but it's fun to ponder when there's a foot of snow outside :).

@Confused Thanks ... I'm always amazed that I've hung in here so long considering my distaste for cold winters. My next home will have to be further south :).

@Dave Yeah, and I liked using the conceit of a broken marriage for (I hope) humorous affect. Although I really shouldn't be making light of failed marriages (as I know from personal experience).

@Jakill Chicago is a very nice city, so I don't want to disparage it in any way. I'm just feeling a little wanderlust after almost 30 years of living here. Seaside living sounds nice, and I have no problem with changing countries :).

@Ralph Italy would always be at the top of my list of places to relocate to, so that's a fine suggestion. I have not doubt that I'm suffering from SAD. Damn winter!

@Manx I've been to Phoenix a few times, once even in the high heat of July. I'm more partial to swampy heat (I grew up in DC) vs. dry heat, but I find the desert quite beautiful. I'm definitely a downtown type of guy.

Dominic Rivron said...

To paraphrase Karl Kraus on women, "A city which cannot be ugly is not beautiful".

ps I'm not that well-read - I just know how to Google.

Ms. O. D. said...

As much as I loved Chicago, the winter obliterated me! I just heard you guys are gettings tons more snow... New York isn't much better, just a smidge warmer. winter blues. I'm am so dreaming of warmth and sunshine now, florida, california, hawaii... I wonder if there is a metropolis with a warm weather and a great public transportation system.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Ms.OD In the US, SF and DC are a bit warmer, and have decent transit (although the cost of living is pretty high). Outside the US, I think I'd probably go with Rome :).