Pages

Friday, January 02, 2009

Meet the new year, same as the old year?

As the metaphorical bells tolled in the year 2009 the other night, I greeted the man-made demarcation of a new planetary cycle with the usual mixture of hope and anxiety.

There was the hope that individually, and as a society, we'll find our footing in a new, positive direction this year. This optimism was of course beset by the well-found fear of falling into the previous patterns of self-defeating missteps and backsliding.

As my last poem likely indicated, I've been feeling a bit painted into a corner lately. It was a trap I set for myself, but with the silver lining of a forced reckoning. There's nowhere to go but up, and I'll need to sprout wings to get there. The good news is, I feel the nubs now pushing their way out through my shoulder blades.

I spent most of New Year's Day in deep meditation and emerged with a fixed resolve, and a clearer sense of purpose. One way or another, I can't finish 2009 the way I'm starting it and I'm dedicating myself to entering 2010 from a better place.

The details of that narrative arc are yet to be determined, but I'm finally giving up on the previously imagined ending of a Deus Ex Machina hand reaching down to rescue me from above. It's time for me, and us, to recognize and nurture the seeds of change growing from within.

10 comments:

Fiendish said...

What a wonderfully optimistic post. It certainly sums up how I feel about 2009 - personally and on a societal level - and I think plenty more people will identify with it, too.

I can only wish you the best of luck in sprouting those wings. I have no doubt you'll quickly get the hang of it.

Anonymous said...

That's a very encouraging way of looking at things. Indeed, it's all a matter of perception. Life is what you make it , as the cliche' goes. I know you'll make it big Francis. You've got what it takes.

Good luck for the year 2009. You're included in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

All the best Francis I hope this year is all that you strive for

None said...

Your year is made up of bits. Minutes and hours that add up to the total. One minute well-lived adds to the next. But you know all those trite sayings. I fear that you do not trust yourself yet. Faith comes by being faithful.

SUSAN SONNEN said...

I am with you!

Francis Scudellari said...

@Fiendish Thanks :). I guess I'll not only have to sprout them, but learn to use them, won't I? I've got every confidence you'll be flying soon too.

@Jena "luck is the residue of design" as they say, so I'm going to do my best designing :). Thanks as always Jena, and the appreciation is mutual.

@Confused I'm taking the position that it will be :). I hope your 2009 is equally fulfilling.

@Manx I'm fully resolved to be more faithful this year :). Thanks for the reminder.

@Susan It's much easier to accomplish together as a group!

Dave King said...

I have every confidence that you will make it - especially as you have posted about it. public witness always helps, I feel.

Abi said...

Good luck with 2009, I'm feeling similar!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I've begun my work, and it will be painstaking, but I'm with you on making some progress. You've phrased it so much more eloquently than I think of it.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Dave I agree completely about public witness, and so I've posted yet another one to hold myself to some commitments.

@Abi Good luck to you too ... maybe the mutual support will help all of us have a great year :).

@Kelly I think you underestimate your eloquence. The work is definitely worth it if it moves us toward our goals.