Pages

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Eight questions: An unauthorized autobiography

I was tagged with a meme by Jane Doe at Insanity Personified. It's a pretty simple exercise: answer eight questions. So, here it goes ...


1) What was the best moment of your life?

I have a shocking confession to make. I am in fact a Tralfamadorian, and I don't really get the human conception of time that divides existence into past, present and future. To answer the question more directly, all I can say is that the best moment in my life will occur in approximately 1,661 days as measured from your today. I don't want to spoil the "future" for the rest of you, so I'll just leave it at that.

2) If you could pick a superpower what would it be?

I've actually been working pretty hard the past few years to cultivate one very specific power. I can best describe it as inter-dimensional travel, or a type of omnipresence. I'm not sure, however, if that's something one of the popular superheroes can do. It might be more the purview of minor deities, fictive computer operating systems, and Las Vegas magicians.

3) If there was one thing you could do, with no limits of any kind, what would it be?

I'd travel, hence the need to work on the superpower of question 2.

4) What's the weirdest dream you've ever had?

The dream that I'll always remember, and that I hope to one day write more about, occurred when I was a wee lad with a mind full of strange and scary ideas (the only change now being I'm not so wee). I'll give you the broadest sketch of the plot as I want to keep your appetite whetted for a possible future post. It involved the discovery that I had a colony of tiny insects living inside my body. The little buggers threatened to take control of my motor skills, like tiny little puppet masters.

5) What's the weirdest thing about you?

See the answer to question one. Next best weirdness: I cut my own hair.

6) What's your favorite self made philosophy?

I don't claim to have ever had an original thought, let alone a self-made philosophy, but I do hold dear an amalgam of strange borrowed ideas. One such concept is that we humans are unavoidably barreling ahead toward a technological singularity that will either prove to be the precipitate of our eventual downfall or the first step down a new evolutionary path.

7) What (if any) question has been the most annoying unanswered question of your life?

This one.

8) Why do you blog?

I blog to interact with the world, and I've been happy to discover that the world has an ample supply of smart, funny and creative bloggers willing to engage me in a continuing conversation. Speaking of which, I'll do my usual universal tag: if you're reading this and would like to play along, you're it.

13 comments:

Tam said...

Brilliant, I never knew you were this witty.

I have a complex series of folders in my Google reader. They are arranged in such a fashion that the blogs I enjoy reading the most are in one folder, and below that I have a folder whose contents that I still like a lot, but don’t have posters of them on my bedroom wall.
The folders range all the way down to the blogs I only read occasionally to be polite.

Suffice is to say, this entry of yours has given me to cause to bump your blog to a higher echelon in my reader. I’m not sure why I’m prattling on and sharing all this, I could have just said “nice post.”

Anonymous said...

*Nice post*

Kidding LOL

Just brilliant Francis. I've always found being tagged from others somewhat annoying because it usually comes from left field then it takes time to come up with a response. Valuable time. I honestly have to say your approach to this meme is absolutely brilliant. Loved it my friend.

After leaving the Infundibulum have you found things a little boring? Maybe this would explain your rare visits to the MW Society page? LOL

Take care my friend.

This is great....I'm still smiling.

~JD

Francis Scudellari said...

@Tam 12 years of Catholic education taught me to work hard at containing my wit within an outer shell of quiet suffering, but it occasionally bubbles to the surface. I am extremely honored to have been bumped up, and I'm very glad you chose to type more than "nice post" :).

@JD I am just recovering from a very busy couple weeks of non-blog work, so look for me to reappear very soon at the MWS page. I'm not usually much of a meme participant, but this one caught my interest. I'm glad it turned out well. Take care too, and keep on smiling :)

Ken Armstrong said...

it's not everyday you meet a Tralfamadorian who cuts his own hair.

Do you cut all your hair simultaneously?

Just wonderin'

Jena Isle said...

Hi Francis, good post!...(grins) ..but I would like to say more too. I will take you up on this meme tomorrow as I will still have to go to work. Well, I'm a Catholic too , if that makes a difference. (another grin). I like how you presented this meme. I don't know If I could be as witty as you are. But I will do it anyway...

Happy blogging.

Anonymous said...

"...strange borrowed ideas..." I like that. Now that I think of it, I probably AM a strange borrowed idea. We are temporary, after all, right? Good meme.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Ken Technically yes ... all at once :).

@Jena I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm sure you'll do a great job with the meme.

@Kelly Thanks ... and I agree we are all just strange ideas :).

Jena Isle said...

Francis I have copied and answered your meme at my Random Thoughts blog.
http://jenaisle-candidthoughts.blogspot.com.
Happy blogging.

BillyWarhol said...

I want X Ray Vision to See Thru Clothing*

;PPP

SUSAN SONNEN said...

You crack me up! :)

Anonymous said...

These are the memes I rather like - they give us a window into the blogger we might not otherwise have.

Fiendish said...

"Tiny little puppet masters".

Brilliant.

Memes are excellent in the hands of the right bloggers. This post happens to be a perfect example.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Billy I was always tempted as a kid by those xray specs ads at the back of comic books. My skepticism overwhelmed my prurient desires, however.

@Susan Mission accomplished then :).

@Cooper I agree completely. I'm not so fond of the kind that are just meant to build links. This one was much more interesting as a writing exercise.

@Fiendish Thanks! And I liked the ring of that particular line too ... I may just expand it into a larger piece.