Pages

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Fresh starts, new beginnings


New Year's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. I appreciate the spirit of renewal that we celebrate as the calendar flips and the year turns. The starting point may be arbitrary, but there's still significance in beginning again our planetary journey around the sun.

In the midst of winter's cold grip, it's good to warm ourselves with thoughts of reinvention and self improvement. Here on the far north side of Chicago, even the weather cooperated in reaffirming that seasonal metaphor. A fresh blanket of snow fell on the trees and walks, painting the neighborhood in a pristine white as if to symbolize a clean slate.

Personally, I don't have any specific resolutions other than to be better at everything. Nationally, I don't know what the year ahead has in store, but I have a strong feeling it won't be dull. Universally, I wish everyone a happy, peaceful and loving solar spin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And to you to Francis. May you have a healthy, happy and successful 2008.
~JD

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks JD. With the help of the wonderful folks I've met through this online adventure, I think I'll have a great '08. Here's wishing you the best year possible too.

Jennifer Jones said...

LOL... "a loving solar spin"!

OK, I'm adding this to my list of fabulous quotes! :-)

Happy New Year Francis...

Jen

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Jen,

It has an almost randy connotation when you separate it out like that. Maybe not the best choice of words.

Happy New Year! I'll try to keep the quotes coming.