Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Birthright: Chapter Eight

by Francis Scudellari

Purgatory

Cryptically back-lit, the jumbled numbers hovered in the blackness before him. Like glowing glyphs in an endless void, the haloed digits refused Jacob's every attempt at translation. The blurred amalgam of twos, threes, and fives bled into each other; sometimes multiplying, sometimes dividing when Jacob's tired eyes tried to focus in on it.

Unable to decipher the clockwork green figures, Jacob finally turned his head toward the shadowed doorway. His body lay angled on the mattress: his arms spread toward the far top corner, and his legs sprawled over its near bottom edge.

Turning on the faint light of a side lamp, Jacob saw the ceiling, the walls, the floor -- the whole room -- spin wildly. When he closed his eyes, it was Jacob himself who spun, seemingly picking up speed with each passing moment.

Taking a quick peek again, he glimpsed a small, fuzzy shadow move across the vertiginous facing wall. It was probably just Gregor. Then, Jacob pulled shut his bloodshot lids once more, squeezing the surrounding muscles with a force of will to fight the dizziness and slow the uncontrolled spiraling.

The Miles Davis record playing on the phonograph did its part to calm the storm. The throbbing bass, up-bounced down, down-careened up, out-ebbed in, and finally in-faded out of his revolving head. The fluttering piano nestled in one corner of his mind, accompanied by the saxophone's slinky swing and by the drum’s steady pulse.

Over top of it all, the sleek, plaintive trumpet snaked in from the living room and through the hall, before it slipped into the bedroom. It undulated over Jacob and wrapped itself around him. Its cool, soothing scales, coiled tightly about him and up-lifted his frame securely below the rotating ceiling.

One by one the instruments trailed away. Their final notes lapsing into silence, each released its grip on Jacob. Last to go, the trumpet unwound itself and let Jacob drop heavily back onto the bed with a thud -- the record needle rubbing roughly against the label’s edge.

The speakers emitted a circular crackle and hiss, and Jacob had to get up. His stomach howled angrily -- the vengeful rumbling of a wounded beast. It churned violently, rolling the rest of his body off the edge and onto the floor.

Clambering over various strewn shoes and bouncing off half-unpacked boxes, Jacob crawled out from the bedroom on his hands and knees. Reaching the bathroom, he blindly felt for the toilet. With both hands, he gripped the cold porcelain bowl and thrust his mouth into its larger one. His poisoned belly heaved. All of the day’s frustration, bitterness, pizza and gin poured forth, corrupting the clear blue water.

Jacob sat back against the wall. Things were going to get better … they had to. They couldn’t get any worse. Soon, he would find his muse. Soon, he would seduce her to his side. Soon, he would be a writer. “Soon. Soon. Soon.” He repeated the mantra in a slow whisper until he lost consciousness.

14 comments:

fihanna said...

hurrah!

Auguri per la vincita del giorno da Santas!
here

Francis Scudellari said...

I'm going to bask in the sunshine of my victory :). I wish someone had told me ... I would have voted for myself (maybe).

fihanna said...

puoi votare per te anche domani che sei ancora in lista,
hahaha,
now you grab this award!
and in future You laws shot box from MBL

fihanna said...

queste sono le turbine (budella) del cervello umano ...
uno che perde coscienza significa che non riesce ad affrontare la vita,la rimuove

Francis Scudellari said...

I've never used the MBL shout box ... I don't like to draw attention to myself ... pun intended ... ;0).

I think there are many, especially here in the US, who prove what you say. We're taught to live with pretense and find ourselves habitually sleepwalking.

fihanna said...

ti scrivo ora in privacy in MBL,ok?
ci sono commenti per te anche in blog di Santa sotto il tuo award..
ciao,...notte

Jackie said...

Hi Francis and Hanna,

I can just read and understand enough to say congratulations to you Francis. Whatever it is...you are most deserving. Of this I am sure.

And, yes we Americans are taught to walk around completely disconnected from reality.

But, thank God for the few that do try to be aware. And, as we all know....there are very few inded.

Ahhhh.... Santa's just got it. oh Francis you didn't know....awwww.

Hanna, I will try to drop by soon:)
Later you two!!

GrEaT sAtAn'S gIrLfRiEnD said...

"Soon, he would find his muse. Soon, he would seduce her to his side. Soon, he would be a writer."

Is this a reference to Jacob's co dependency? Or is he just lonely?

Or is he a poseur? Or a tortured artist?

I know, I know - tune in again next time - right?

Good stuff!

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Jackie ... there are few, but I think slowly more are waking up.

Francis Scudellari said...

Courtney,

You'll definitely have to stay tuned, but I'd say more co-dependent than lonely (although that too), and definitely more poseur than tortured artist.

Ruthie said...

Jacob needs a hug.

I also think I need to work on my Italian.

Are you up for an award?

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Ruthie,

He definitely does ... but he may get one later in the story (if only in his mind).

I actually need to practice up on my Italian too. I can read some but my conversation skills have completely atrophied.

Award? Sure ... I always love to get awards :).

Ruthie said...

But are you in the running for one?

This goes back to my Italian being bad. I bring shame to my family.

In any case, if you are, congratulations!

Francis Scudellari said...

I seriously doubt you bring shame to your family. From what I can tell, they've actually got quite a lot to be proud of: great writer, wonderful mother, soon-to-be kick-arse grad student ... if I knew you better I'm sure I could toss in a few more.

Hanna is talking about the "Santa Blog of the Day Award" ... so yes, I was/am up for an award, but not anything of great significance or excitement (no offense to Santa). Look to the right, and you'll see the Santa badge that I've been awarded the past couple days.

The amount of votes I needed to win it wouldn't be enough to get me elected dog-catcher in a ghost town :).