Pages

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas 2010

‘Tis this,
Christmas
morn at the end
of that clutch of days
Christians named 2010,
and the diffident sky
can only manage
one irreverent blink.

There they're here,
candy cane lights
with green-garland ears
and drunken noses
to point my way through
snow-drop-hushed streets
robbed of their rush-about
and vagrant shouts.

Then’s when
I’ll take it,
the harked-upon angels’
high stool, and make low
the hollered occasion
with a devilish wink
to swivel
their pin-cushion heads:

“Yay, I say,
for unto you is born
this day, in the city of laid
lids, a savor!
Look for true
love in the cradle
of your straw-strewn hearth,
and unswaddle it.”

4 comments:

WAS said...

Nice work. You approach the fire with your chestnuts in hand, but when they leave your hand, they're not chestnuts but something new.

Nancy said...

Beautiful, Francis. Terry says, "He's fuckin' good!" Merry Xmas.

human being said...

each event... each feeling... each moment of your life... turns into a beautiful and thought provoking poem...

merry christmas and happy new year to you, my dear poet friend!

Francis Scudellari said...

@Bill Thanks... they may even transform once they touch my hands :).

@Nancy Merry Xmas... I'm very glad you liked this one.

@hb And I'm always hungry for more moments :). Here's wishing you the happiest of new years when the cat finally becomes unstuck, my poet friend.