Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

Two Souls: New Hair

Continuing on where my poem Two Souls takes me, this is the fourth installment. I've decided to subtitle each part. In case you haven't been following along, the first three parts are I. Exile, II. Slow Drift, and III. Fleshy.

Two Souls, Twin Lives
By Francis Scudellari

IV. New Hair

On nests spread far between
parallel paths
These two of never's name,
a restless lie,
let time's shortened shadow
fall across bald,
scaled shoulders, its darkness
seeding new hair
and cunning to endure
seasons become
changeling, drawn to leafy coves
where they gobble
shoots that taste of lost light

4 comments:

Anders Enochsson said...

This feels like an old epic cycle. Where will it end?

Francis Scudellari said...

@Ande That's a great question... I'm not even sure just yet. Well, I have a sense of the ending, but there's lots still left to happen in between.

Jenny said...

Francis,

Fascinating reference to hair here. Yes, good idea to continue writing more installments as you feel that there are more to come.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jenny Thanks. I'm thinking seven parts total, but we'll see how things play out.