Pages

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Toxic mimic

This poem was very loosely inspired by an environmental piece I saw a few months back on the blog Eco-Friendly Life and Toys. The post features a video clip of writer Derrick Jensen discussing the concept of toxic mimics. I highly recommend watching it, especially since I didn't depict the concept very well below.

Toxic mimic
By Francis Scudellari

(Be led …)

To this reed-choked pool
I'm drawn
With liquid murmurs
My face
Reflected, once-clear
Lines warped
By bubbling decay

(Belong …)

On rippled surface
I seem
Closer. With each breath
My lack
Spreads. Circling worries
Carried
By weak-willed current

(Believe …)

In the brown-tinged glass
I bend
To watery shade
Fingers
Twisted black branches
Reach out
For a sighted hope

(Be loved …)

As teary phantom,
I view
This lonely image
All worth
Grown monstrous, over
Time held
In, tightly, my own

7 comments:

Jena Isle said...

What a heart-tugging poem. If I haven't read the introduction, I would think that the poet is in a lonely, sad mood. lol...

Thanks for that thought-provoking poem.

Cheers.

Beat Black said...

I just have to say that your are SO incredibly talented

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jena I tend to bounce between sadness and happiness pretty easily these days ... but that's good for depicting a range of emotion :)

@BeatBlack Thanks ... I always have my nagging doubts, but I really appreciate the compliment. And I'm a big fan of your site :).

Fiendish said...

The whole second verse is just so spare and beautiful, as is the rest of the poem really. Beautiful even for someone who doesn't understand toxic mimics.

Carolina Z said...

With each passing visit, my admiration for your artistic shine gets longer, taller, deeper and broader. So I guess... I guess it's growing. ;)

Deliciously challenging piece! Wow.

Anonymous said...

Just passing by for my usual poetry fix Francis.Wonderful always, though this is a little different than usual. I think one of my favorites.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Fiendish Thanks ... and I think you can count me in that group of folks who doesn't completely understand toxic mimics, but I used the general idea to portray a type of modern Narcissus.

@Carolina Thanks for the very large compliment :). I appreciate it coming from a poet such as yourself.

@Cooper It's very rewarding when experimentation pays off :). Thanks as always for the visit and comment.