Pages

Monday, February 04, 2008

A heartfelt quote ...

I was just tagged today by Hanna with the From The Heart meme (grazie tante a te Hanna come sempre). I like this meme because it's as simple as they get ... having only one rule:

Post a quote that speaks from and to your heart and dedicate it to at least three other bloggers.

So, here's the quote that I've always felt touched by:

"...and then in dreaming
The clouds methought would open and show riches
Ready to drop upon me, that when I wak'd
I cried to dream again."
William Shakespeare's The Tempest: Act III, Scene ii, 137-140

The words are spoken by Caliban, one of the more interesting characters from one of Shakespeare's more problematic plays (and one that formed the heart of my Master's thesis). The drama isn't a tragedy, but it has darker themes not befitting a comedy. Although Caliban is portrayed most often as brutish and bitter — misshapen in physical form and spirit — these lines betray a surprisingly poetic soul and an aching desire for a better life.

Now here are the three bloggers I'm dedicating this exercise to:
I've got another meme that I'll be passing on in the next few days (I haven't forgotten it Nina!) ... so prepare yourselves.

9 comments:

fihanna said...

Bell'esercizio!
"10 e lode"!

fihanna said...

"an aching desire for a better life"
better or not better...
to live and live again,
that's that!

fihanna said...

mushroom-shaped...for the Caliban...
bella questa!

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Hanna ... for the tag and for the comments. Life is in many ways like the act of dreaming, so the desire to keep dreaming and keep living is something I definitely relate too.

fihanna said...

hi,
definitely,
ti interessa dianetics?

Francis Scudellari said...

Not really, no. I tend more towards scientific rather than religious idea systems for understanding the world.

fihanna said...

cazz...! non puoi onorare il bruco!

Dave J. said...

Thanks for involving me in this!

Francis Scudellari said...

I'm glad to do so Dave :).