Pages

Friday, January 11, 2008

Hibernation: when streams turn cold

As the dead of winter sets in, I'm retreating into a cozy den built of spare words and found images. Hunkered down in this incubating nest, all of my non-essential systems will slow to conserve precious energy. My prosaic breaths will grow shallow and far between, with only a few abstract expressions escaping into the chill air outside my cave.

While slumbering in this self-preserving hibernation, I'll do my best to provide warmth to guests stumbling by from out in the icy far stretches.

Two friends and fellow wayfarers were kind enough to recently lend some light inside my self-imposed retreat and I offer them my thanks now ...

Jackie at The Painted Veil (back and in fine form again) tagged me with the New Year's Resolution or Not meme. Thank you Jackie. To answer the meme without doing it ... not. I try to avoid making promises I can't keep.

Hanna at Amori, poesie, arte, chat virtuali yet again is owed a double "thank you." She tagged me with the 7 Weird or Random Facts About Me meme (I sorta did this one before, here) and very graciously nominated me for Blog of the Day at Santa's aptly named site (feel free to vote me up).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Francis
Congrats on the nomination! I'll go put in my vote now.
Peace
~JD

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks for the well wishes, and support JD. I don't think I got many votes, but every one means a lot to me.

Dave J. said...

Blog of the day? I'll need to check this out, cause I'm thinking more like blog of the year, in about a 10-way tie with my other favs. ^^

Francis Scudellari said...

The year's not even 2-weeks old yet, so let's see if I can keep it going for another 50 ;). Thanks Dave ... Wandering the Ether is definitely among my faves.

kellypea said...

Winter is temporary and it affects us all differently. I'm one to enjoy it, but I don't have to deal with extreme weather. I hope that your period of digging in is restorative, turning your spare words and images into rich creations that leave you feeling ready for a good thaw...Congrats on your recognitions.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Kelly. Living in Chicago for 27 years now, I'm pretty sick of winter. I think eventually I'll have to head toward more temperate climes. My hibernation post was mostly a conceit to let folks know I'm putting aside the more public persona and sticking with poetry and art for a while. I'll probably change things up again when that thaw comes.

Colin Campbell said...

Francis Scudellari Come on Down. We have low to mid thirties, sunny and clear all day today and all week. Happy New Year. Hope you are well and enjoying the hibernation season I am still making up from all those years growing up in Scotland. I never did spend much time in cold places in the US, other than Aspen and Salt Lake City and they have skiing.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Colin,
Happy New Year (not so new now). I am well thanks, and surviving the Chicago winter pretty well. No skiing here ... except the cross country variety. I could definitely see myself settling down under. I hope all is well with you. I've heard Scotland's weather can be a bit challenging.

kellypea said...

That's what I figured, Francis. It's funny how we feel we need to tell our readers those things, isn't it? And I've heard others say they're tired of so many years in the cold as well. Heck. Head on down to Paradise. We're holding steady at temps around the mid 60's by Friday and not a single cloud in the sky. Oh. And palm trees. Waves. Seagulls. That kinda thing. It's actually pretty, but quite monotonous. But still...

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Kelly,

I've been to SD a couple times and always enjoyed it. I had an offer to come work out there, but I was ready for a career change so passed it up. Who knows where the future may take me though :).