Pages

Friday, January 25, 2008

Birthright: Chapter Seven

by Francis Scudellari

Edom Visits Jacob

The doorknob smacked into the wall with a dull thud. Edom stood on the landing clad in black. “Hey Jake, aren’t you going to invite me in.” Edom walked in uninvited. “How’s the great American novel coming? Written anything about me yet?”

“Fuck off, Ed. I haven’t written anything about anyone yet. All I’ve done all day is waste paper.”

“Hope you don’t mind if I help myself.” Edom wandered off into the kitchen. The refrigerator door squeaked open and slammed shut. Edom re-emerged with a bottle of beer in one hand and a cold slice of pizza in the other. “Jesus, Jake, you oughta do some dishes some time. It’s pretty gross in there. I’ve never seen so many roaches. You’re violating some major health codes.”

“Lay off the roaches, they’re my pets. That bastard Virgil won’t let me keep a cat or a dog. The fucker won’t even let me buy a goldfish. He says it’s in the lease. The roaches were my only option. I tried to name each of them, but they all look alike, so I just call them all Gregor. They’re easy to take care of. I don’t have to buy them any food or anything. Don’t have to bring them to a vet. They’re not so ugly when you get used to them.”

“Yeah? Well, maybe you can teach them some tricks. Maybe you can teach them how to sweep.” Edom shuffled toward the couch, kicking the balls of paper. “You must have destroyed a couple of forests today. Greenpeace is gonna come after you if you keep this up.” He fell back into the pink and green floral cushions.

“Fuck Greenpeace. I gotta find something to write about. I’m going nuts. I can’t even get started. I’ve tried everything. My head hurts from thinking so much.”

“Maybe it hurts from all the gin and smoke, or from being locked up in this stale apartment all day. You need to get out of here for a while, Jake. Why don’t you come with me to the show tonight? Scour is playing down at the Pit. It should be pretty wild. You could get inspired.”

“I’ve got all the inspiration I need in my jazz and my gin. Besides, I’m not leaving this place until I write something, anything.” Jacob drained his glass.

Edom got up. He finished his beer and tossed the empty bottle on the couch. “Suit yourself. It’s your loss. I’ll let you know what you missed tomorrow.” Edom walked to the door stroking his beard. He grasped the doorknob and turned back toward Jacob.

“Hey, Jacob, do yourself a favor and open a window. This place reeks.” He slammed the door behind him. Footsteps cascaded down the stairwell.

23 comments:

Raven said...

Love the roach bit... Gregor... that's great!! Hehehe

fihanna said...

Hi Francis!
..."al posto d'occhi
due pugni chiusi"...
I have the Award from Harvard for you,
baci ;0)

fihanna said...

Francis!
perchè lui ha disegnato diversi punti "V"
(?)

Jackie said...

Wow now short stories too. There seems to be no end to your talents.

And, I absolutely love the drawing!!

~jackie

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks raven. The joys of Chicago apartment living.

Francis Scudellari said...

Wow Hanna, thanks for the award. I think I take more inspiration from others than I give, but I'm proud to receive it.

As to the drawing, the shape wasn't really a conscious decision. I sketched the general form and then started "shaping" it. I'd like to rework it a little, but that will come later.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Jackie. There are definitely limits to my talents. Dance being just one example.

Nina Munteanu said...

I left you a little present, Francis. Here it is:http://sfgirl-thealiennextdoor.blogspot.com/2008/01/new-years-meme.html ... Hey, congrats on the award, by the way! Way cool!

fihanna said...

OK!
ma nel subconscio zig-zagavi "V"V v..
Uno V blu..
uomo seduto...
invece degli occhi 2 pugni chiusi
(...)
I love you current photo!
mannaggia!
(...)
ho notato, si, di stimolare la tua creatività
..
ciao Francis

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks for the lovely gift Nina! I'll share it here next week.

Francis Scudellari said...

Ciao Hanna,

V's on my brain? Quite possibly ... I definitely see it, but I don't know what it may symbolize. Well, actually I do, but I won't go there.

I love that line "al posto d'occhi due pugni chiusi" is it from a poem? If not, I may use it for one of my own :). There you go inspiring me again.

I'm glad you like the photo. I think it definitely captures something honest.

fihanna said...

"Io amo"
here..
Nella foto, sembri risorto
;0)
see u Fran

Francis Scudellari said...

Grazie Hanna. Mi piace molto la tua poesia. Risorto, eh? I do think I look like I just woke up ;).

fihanna said...

hahahha
appena sveglio
forte!
sembra non ci capisci un cazzo di quelo che ti attornia...
nella tua mente carpisci tutto diverso, discosto, non contaminato ancora...

Francis Scudellari said...

I think that's a good description. My mind can be very child-like, soaking in the various external stimuli and trying to make sense of them.

fihanna said...

idea eccezionale!
suprema!

vivere con la "mind child-like"
morire con la "mind child-like"

fihanna said...

beh,
però,
"various external stimuli"
chi sono?
infernal-mind?
nature?
immaginazione ha bisogna del sapere ed aver vissuto...allora?
ecco che arriva: "ressurezione"

Francis Scudellari said...

Stimulus is actually a very difficult idea to dissect. What's external and what's internal. There may be a smell, or a touch, or a sound that triggers an old memory ... a linked sensation. But our minds fixate on the connected recollection, not the small event that triggered it. Maybe we internally stimulate ourselves too ... resurrecting memories and feelings we want to relive.

fihanna said...

ecco!
tu sulla foto sembri allora:

resurrezione-riciclaggio del mondo sozzo e corrotto attraverso "mind child-like"
toh ;0

ps.un flash d'odissea di salvatore

Francis Scudellari said...

I definitely feel like I'm going through a type of resurrection these days ... still curious what emerges on the other side.

fihanna said...

energia pura
here

Francis Scudellari said...

I do like the quantum idea of all possible outcomes existing simultaneously. My conception of the soul is very close to that notion of pure energy.

fihanna said...

wow!
c'è futuro!
;0)