Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Weightlessness

You could put it down
as youthful folly, or spit out
the hackneyed line about
pride and what goeth after.

It's true, I over-reached,
wanting to limitless kiss
the sun's crisp lips.

I did hold her glowing cheeks
firmly in my palms
for one exquisite breath.

Can you, rocking there
in your comfy prison,
say the same?

There comes a time to sit
astride clouds and burn off
the waxy buildup of childish things.

The weightlessness before
the plunge feels
like it will never end,
but, I can tell you, it does.



This week's Poetry on Wednesday Prompt is a guessing game of "Who am I?" I took a few liberties with the subject of this poem, but he still should be easily discernible.

10 comments:

Rallentanda said...

Yep it was easy.But what a beautiful poem!This is a gem Francis.

Unknown said...

Well, Francis, I think I know to whom you refer(!) A Greek youth perhaps, leaving Crete? As Rall says, a beautiful poem.

Stan Ski said...

Father & son double act...?

Anonymous said...

I think I know too!
Nice poem!
Pamela

J. D. Mackenzie said...

Loved it. Another poem I read last year, same topic, sent me researching the wrong direction for a bird called waxwing that led me to the correct topic. Like the wisdom we hear from voices after heroic death.

Rallentanda said...

The answer is Icarus.

Anonymous said...

I love your second stanza.

http://thelaughinghousewife.wordpress.com

Francis Scudellari said...

@Rall Thanks... and yes it's Icarus.

@Derrick Not very well disguised, but I did pick one of the best known Greek myths.

@Stan Icarus could be talking to Daedalus, but he's also addressing the reader.

@Pamela I won't win any points for stumping people :).

@JD I think that in many ways Icarus gets a bad rap.

@tlh Thank you.

human being said...

a great take...
he is my second favorite mythological character after prometheus...

years ago i wrote a story based on this character... you would laugh if you knew who is the hero...

now this reminded me of that... it's in Persian... think i should find it and put up the English version on some bolg...
:)

i especially loved your opening stanza... the way you want the reader to find some new reason for an act... to think differently... not to judge based on some hackneyed evidences...

really great!

Francis Scudellari said...

@hb Thanks... I'd love to see the English version of your post.