Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Slippery words spew, and I can't stop their flow

I want to paint it
this plaint
I've worded
one thousand
unrecorded instants
only to see both
the deep and tinny
syllables I thought
vibrantly tinted
dissolve into
pale, gooey-bottomed wails

I should pitch it
this paste
to patch an unfrocked
eye searching
puffy tears for atoms
escaped within
abandoned margins
as narrow as
the difference between
my white canvas
and an emptying hand

I have to plug it
this post hole
bored by my frantic
inattentions
and stencil a sign:
bold letters below
a starched cuff,
its pulseless finger
pointing out
there's one way
round sniveling sounds


In this week's prompt at Big Tent Poetry Carolee Sherwood asks us to fill in the blank "I want to write about _______, but I don't know how." My poem is more about that blank, than what fills it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

no, no! don't stop the words! :)

Mary said...

Frances, I know the feeling of 'syllables I thought vibrantly tinted' dissolving. I would guess most have this happen at least occasionally!

http://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2010/06/front-page-news.html

Elizabeth said...

I really like the blank space you found and filled. It makes so much sense.

Elizabeth

Tumblewords: said...

gooey-bottomed wails - bring 'em on! This is delightful and profoundish, too!

Diane T said...

I can without doubt connect this poem to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Perfect metaphor!

beth said...

writing about the blank -- such a cool way to take on the prompt. great imagery.

Erin Davis said...

Love it! I agree with Carolee...

Francis Scudellari said...

@carolee I couldn't if I tried ... sorta like BP :).

@Mary The nice thing is the disappointment soon fades.

@Elizabeth I'm glad it made sense. Sometimes I can get too abstract.

@Tumblewords I'll do my best to keep bringing them. Thanks.

@Diane The spill definitely was floating in the background here.

@Beth When confronted by a blank, write about it :).

@Erin Thanks!

Cynthia Short said...

"round, sniveling sounds" what a perfect line!

This was terrific as usual...

human being said...

powerful!


loved this part a lot:

within
abandoned margins
as narrow as
the difference between
my white canvas
and an emptying hand


awesome!