Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Poorly sketched comedy meets creation myth

First a disclaimer:
My god is not
necessarily
yours, but she is
undeniably
hungry for a comfort-food
snack of peanut butter
and Fluff brand
whipped marshmallow spread.

(Yeah, I know,
nasty stuff, yet
every god has her quirks)

She's actually
more demiurge,
needy and enduring
a dangerously dull day
ideating at the office
that gets worse when
she opens the gripe-box
to unfold a complaint
pasted in ransom-note letters:

"Too stingy with praise.
Resent the ego stroking
going one way."

"Can't stroke what you ain't got,"
she cracks, tipping back
a cold glass of froth-topped milk.

The bubbling laughter
seizes her
mid-swallow, and
caught up by
a soul-clearing cough,
stars spray out speckling
black tile in a no-longer dark
part of the universe
we call home.


This week's prompt at Big Tent Poetry is another wordle (see the image at right). The wordle vocabulary was borrowed from Dangerous Astronomy by Sherman Alexie.

12 comments:

brenda w said...

Francis, I'll certainly never look at spewed milk the same. Ever. ha ha!

Love the line: She's actually more demiurge...
Funny, engaging piece.

Anonymous said...

Francis
A very funny piece this made me laugh!
Good post!
Pamela

Anonymous said...

This is humorous and beautiful at the same time...a look at God as being more human than we think, yet sensitive and gentle with your subject. Well done.

-Nicole

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Francis,

I had an image of a fine spray of milk, against the darkness of the Milky Way. How wonderful!

Eileen

Anonymous said...

"every god has her quirks!" ha! love it!

Mr. Walker said...

We need more creation myths like this one! I like that your god is a "she" and that she's drinking the milk that becomes the stars. Great poem!

Rallentanda said...

Fantastically funny. I have often wondered about the origins of the milky way. Superb metaphors. My God
is more upmarket than yours...with a better taste in cuisine..but probably not as entertaining. Love the ransom note letters.LOL

Rallentanda said...

PS
Your mind can be compared to a speed skater doing zizag...Brilliant..no-one can catch your elusive little tail!

Deb said...

Dang! I *love* this poem. It's a fabulous myth that captures the oddities of our culture & the comic impulses of the universe (& universal).

Hard to pick a favorite part of this piece, but the complaint box & ransom-note style letters are wonderful.

"Soul-clearing cough" -- such a wonderful effect the new old gods have!

Cynthia Short said...

VERY creative, Francis! Thoroughly enjoyed this piece...

Tumblewords: said...

A terrific take on your god, and I'm impressed with her hunger for pb and mm spread. A god after my own heart!

Francis Scudellari said...

@brenda I'm glad this had a lasting effect :).

@Pamela For me, humor and religion go hand in had...

@Nicole I'm a firm believer that we make god in our own image.

@Eileen It's a plausible explanation for how the milky way got there, isn't it? :D

@Carolee Make my god a quirky one!

@Mr.Walker My guess is this creation myth won't catch on with a wider audience.

@Rall I'll concede the up-market argument. Zigzagging is a good way to describe how my mind works ;).

@Deb The oddities of our culture could provide an endless supply of these myths :)

@Cynthia Thanks!

@Tumblewords Somehow mm spread just seemed to be a better fit than plain old jelly.