Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Flash Fiction: False Imprint

He imagines he feels her first.
The slight tap of slender fingertips
to stop the holes only she can see
run down his fluted arm.

Then, tender lines of perhaps
too-thin lips follow along his neck
to shape lyrics from bouncy songs
he heard once, in passing.

Finally, her whole body pulls close
eager to imprint his bare back
with blocky paragraphs that break
his inhibited spell.

All this happens in glancing yet.
They haven't met, but when they do
their story may choose to travel
less conventional paths.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Great building up of tension. You have managed to add a poetic feel into this fiction piece. The lines are loaded with undertones. Great write.

I did not know what flash fiction was until pretty recently.

Lisa Ursu said...

I love this piece!

Megan Duffy said...

this is lovely and works so well.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jenny I'm still experimenting and discovering the form myself. I'm trying to create a hybrid between poetry and short fiction, at least that's my hope.

@Liza Thanks :)

@Megan I'm glad you think so. It's good to have the feed back as I continue to play with this style.