Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Learning from Randomness

This is another poetic exercise born of my Twittering. Through a fellow poet's tweeted stream, I discovered a Web app called Twitter Magnets. It's the Internet's version of the poetry game that used refrigerator magnets to build poems from a random selection of words.

I tried to use as many of the words and punctuation offered as I could without going over the 120-character limit. This is what I came up with:
soft yesterday of reproach, always present
picks cold heart
i growl glass,
two-fist embrace it.
flick needle?
I really liked some of the unusual word combinations it forced me to use. I liked them so much, in fact, I decided to build on the skeleton of that magnet exercise to create the following slightly longer poem.

Needle
By Francis Scudellari

A soft yesterday's sharp reproach,
always present,
pricks my calloused heart

I growl out glass
caught between gritted teeth
and two-fisted embrace it

Pulling the knot tight,
I flick this needle's glint
a spiked drop, acceptance

5 comments:

angie said...

isn't it fun playing with those?

I love the images you came out with--growl out glass, two-fist embrace. It stretches the imagination a bit to put restraints on yourself, as much of a paradox as that may seem!

I'm happy to see you at RWP. It is a treasure-trove of ideas and it is nice to be in a place where everyone appreciates poetry in all its forms. I think you'll love it!

david zen-kennedy said...

Francis - that really worked well didn't it? I like the images that these words convey - aggression, acceptance, a hardened heart. An excellent poem.

Unknown said...

For the ticket, the ride ... I particularly like the softness of yesterday and picked cold hearts of flint needle. Grittted teeth, growled glass, felt the gnashing!

Crafty Green Poet said...

that sounds like a fun way to make a poem and i really like what you came up with...

Francis Scudellari said...

@angie It's a paradox I understand pretty well... and I hope to take advantage of more prompts of both the conventional and unconventional varieties to try to stretch my imagination a bit. Thanks for cluing me in to the RWP site. I'm looking forward to exploring there.

@david It almost feels like a cheat, since the words were in a sense "given to me" but I really like how it turned out too.

@lynette They are very strong images... interesting how combinations you'd never think to use are so powerful.

@crafty Thanks. You should try it too... it is a lot of fun.