Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Smile, this time in words

This poem owes its title and its stylistic playfulness to my last drawing. It's a bit backwards to write the poem after its illustration, but I'm an unconventional sort.

A Smile
By Francis Scudellari

A smile,
left unguarded
against the vices
of mischievous
and prying fingers
can be twisted
at the corners
or tugged or pulled
or even pinched
till drooping
in the middle
it becomes
a mouth full
of strange bits,
put all together:
indifferent

9 comments:

American Idiot said...

Good stuff. :)

Angela said...

This is wonderful Francis! I love the flow of this poem. Nice work:)

Mishu said...

Great Stuff, specially the structure of the poem.

Thanks
Mishu

Anonymous said...

Nice.

Francis Scudellari said...

@AI Thanks... I appreciate the feedback.

@Angel Thanks... I didn't get hung up on structure the way I usually do. I think I need to try that more often.

@Mishu I'm glad to hear you liked it.

@Dmarmar Thank you.

Jessie said...

Hi! This is Jessie from Softly Spoken. I wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting me -- please come back often and leave some advice.

I really enjoyed your poem, the flow and your description of a smile -- wonderfully stated!

smiles,

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jessie I'm probably the one who could use advice, but I'll definitely be by again to visit and comment.

Campbell Jane said...

Love this!

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jane Thanks... and I love your art!