Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Teasing works in progress

Because my creative process is taking longer than expected, I thought I'd write a quick tease post about the work that's currently in progress. A poem I'm calling Stunning Ephemera is being built around the following lines:
Eye-caught baubles
picked up and tucked
in pocketing cocoons
that ripen at random ages
and burst forth with a clattering
of flit-full wings
The title is a phrase that quite literally popped in my head while lying in bed one morning. I have no idea what prompted it, but it struck me as interesting. Due to some strange serendipity I experienced around the writing of it, finishing this one is my current highest priority.

The second poem, Argus, is much less further along, but it's another of my attempts to modernize the characters from a classic myth. The idea of the watcher with one-hundred eyes has always captivated me.

Finally, I've begun a drawing inspired by my last poem Footsteps.

5 comments:

zorlone said...

This is going to be a good one. I can't wait to finish reading the whole poem.

Good job so far Francis. And I'm sure, the painting will even be better.

Z

Jena Isle said...

Hi Francis,

I agree with Doc Z, it is a good one, I like it. I know, the rest would be superb as well.

Anonymous said...

I love that word . . . ephemera. This is going to be an excellent poem.

Fiendish said...

Looking forward to all three, Francis. Best of luck completing them. Enjoy it.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Zorlone Thanks... I hope the finished products live up to the expectations.

@Jena It took longer than I thought it would, but I think it came out pretty well.

@David It's a word that I don't use very much, so I wanted to build a poem around the phrase when it popped into my head.

@Fiendish I do enjoy the process, except those times when the words seem to get stuck... usually because I'm too tired. Good to see you again :).