Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Another dream, another poem

This is another of my poems very loosely inspired by a dream. It's been taken out of that sleepy context, if dreams can be said to really have context.

Mismatched Messenger
By Francis Scudellari

A mismatch-making messenger --
its painted Kewpie doll's head
crudely glued to dovish body --
she frees from a tinfoil-wrapped cage

The bipolar-white wings outspread
to affect a slow-creeping glide
as this at-odds stranger descends
in clockwork-countering spirals

Its too pretty, rounded features
tooled on delicate ceramic
sharpen in edgy marked contrasts,
drawing never closer to me

The lifeless blue star-speckled eyes
string-pulled open by black bar brows;
the twin, red-dotted cheeks pushing
pursed lips not meant to kiss, but peck

Wire-thin, coiled pink talons grasping
a tightly rolled note, loose string-tied
and filled with her mock-poison words
penned at the tip of flaming tongue

The latest targeted missive
that it so precisely drops to
sweet trickle and prod me onward
in love bitterly imagined

6 comments:

zorlone said...

LIke a dream, it formed images of randomness,
but, as a poem, it left me wanting and wordless,
Amazingly adorned with words of brilliance,
only Francis Scudellari can magically balance.

Z
A04122009-07500801M

Mark Kerstetter said...

She may have come from a dream, but you've drawn her in clear hard words as vivid as the material world.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Zorlone Thanks... that's pretty high praise. I always enjoy connecting the randomness that my mind presents me :).

@Mark I've been blessed with a very vivid imagination, and it tends to run wild at night.

Jena Isle said...

Hi Francis,

I find it intriguing and sweet at the same time. But I usually have 2-3 thoughts in my mind when I read your poems. And I enjoy this interactive process of fusion between me and you-the writer. Now I fully understand Gadamer's hermeneutics and Heidegger's notion of art.

Thanks for a thought-provoking poem.

Daniel Benoit said...

How I wish I could write as vivid as that!

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Daniel... I like to think of my poems as vividly twisted :).