Pages

Friday, August 31, 2007

Wasted crime: How to disappear completely

It was quite a surreal adventure in my neighborhood today, with media circulating rumors about a bank robber taking hostages and helicopters audibly circling throughout the afternoon. Barricades were erected, streets closed off, and gawking residents told to keep their distance, yet in the end the wannabe thief disappeared with nothing stolen, no hostages taken, and quite a few folks scratching their heads.

The facts are still murky, but it appears that a man in hospital scrubs talked his way into the back entrance of First Commerical Bank, a scant three blocks from my apartment. The man may or may not have been armed. At first it was thought that he took hostages, but now they say he didn't. The building was surrounded by Chicago police, FBI and swat teams yet somehow the perp walked away, allegedly empty-handed.

Police and news helicopters spent the day either looking for him or looking for a story. The good news is that no one was hurt in the ordeal that wasn't. The Chicago Sun Times gives us the sketchy details in their story Officials: Armed man escaped without cash.

It all puts me in mind of a favorite song by Radiohead. Wouldn't it be nice to walk away from a big mistake, and just disappear as if nothing ever happened.

How To Disappear Completely

That there, that's not me
I go where I please
I walk through walls
I float down the Liffey

I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here, I'm not here

In a little while
I'll be gone
The moment's already passed
Yeah, it's gone

I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here, I'm not here

Strobe lights and blown speakers
Fireworks and hurricanes

I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here, I'm not here ...

3 comments:

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Personally Francis, I would worry about Chicago’s Protection for all Citizens here on out; when this alleged Person was surrounded by Chicago police, FBI and swat teams - yet somehow the perpetrator just disappeared. Like, there is no such thing as the Invisible Man, right?

ThatGirl said...

From NBC5.com: "The FBI said the suspect never really got into the part of the bank where cameras cover the tellers' windows and the city said the neighborhood is not plagued enough by crime to merit coverage."

Well, doesn't that make you feel cozy and safe?


http://www.nbc5.com/news/14024795/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Jeane, we in Rogers Park sometimes feel like invisible people when it comes to our treatment by the City. No surprise then if a local was able to walk thru such a dragnet and escape.

Hi Tracy, yes I have a nice warm fuzzy feeling everytime the FBI enters the hood.